Advanced Search

Finer Ceramic or Diamond Film?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    45ACP
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 4

Forgive me if this has been covered here before.

If I’ve read the grit comparison chart right, the “Super Fine Ceramics 1200/1600” use 5µ and 2.85µ sized particles.
    The 3.5µ diamond paste stropping compound the Wicked Edge system ships is coarser?  Am I really adding scratches if I use 1600 grit (2.85µ) ceramic stone and then follow it up with a 3.5µ strop?

If I’m understanding this correctly, I think I would be better off following up a Super Fine 1600 ceramic with a 1.5µ and 1.0µ diamond film instead of stropping?

….or perhaps the Microfine 1.4µ / 0.6µ stone and no stropping?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

See if this thread answers your question…

New WE user

1 user thanked author for this post.
    45ACP
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 4

Thanks that was very useful actually.  ….so after reading that, I’m thinking diamond film to 1µ to get the polish level I’m after.

My open question is, “Am I really adding scratches if I stop with 3.5µ diamond paste after using a 1600 grit (2.85µ) ceramic stone?”

According to the charts, the material in the paste is just a big larger – so I wonder I’m going “backwards” when stropping.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Thanks that was very useful actually. ….so after reading that, I’m thinking diamond film to 1µ to get the polish level I’m after. My open question is, “Am I really adding scratches if I stop with 3.5µ diamond paste after using a 1600 grit (2.85µ) ceramic stone?” According to the charts, the material in the paste is just a big larger – so I wonder I’m going “backwards” when stropping.

Probably not.  Although the diamond paste is slightly larger, it’s on a softer medium (usually leather or balsa), so it typically finishes at a higher finish level.

Mjcollier
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 36

From what I understand the stropping paste and strops behave very differently than the equal particle size in the stone.

They 14/10 paste has the ability to polish where as the stones with 14 or 10 microns would be relatively coarse.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Form me it’s not either or. They just work differently. But if I go from a stone to a stropping compound I usually do it laterally, i.e using about the same micron size.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.