Advanced Search

Filet Knife…. How do I mount it?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Eric F
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 9

See the picture.  It’s a REALLY narrow blade.  I can’t seem to figure out how to mount it so I can sharpen it.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Attachments:
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Eric, I always try to clamp a knife in the WE jaws first.  Just as though it was any other knife.  By that I mean without considering using an adaptors or jigs.  I generally use a patch, (a small rectangle) of genuine leather chamois wrapped around the knife to protect it from metal on metal contact in the clamped jaws.  If I can’t get proper purchase, hold, in the jaws then I’ll do with out the chamois padding.

I would try that knife using the depth key in the upper holes but it looks so narrow that the edge probably wouldn’t extend high enough over the jaws to use the stones without them bumping.  Then the next try would be to clamp the knife just on the very spine trying to keep the knife as high up as possible but still securely held by the jaws.  You may be able to do that if you clamp the knife in front of the handle close to the bolster.

Then you need to realize the flexible long unsupported or un-stabilized knife and tip will be hanging out in the air.  If it’s too flexible to work on, you may have to work one side of the knife at a time while supporting/stabilizing the knife with your opposite hand holding/pressing the backside of the knife as you work with your stone on the front side.  Then reverse this procedure.    Of course before you can begin to work at the sharpening, you’ll need to adjust the rod arm angle to your desired setting and try if a stone can go through it’s motion without contacting and grinding on the vice and/or jaws.

If there is stone contact with the vice and/or jaws…Plan B, I’d utilize the WE low angle adapter, (LAA) or a Tormek (Small Knife Jig).  Let me say this, this shape knife is or maybe a challenge for even the experienced WE Sharpener.

The procedure I outlined I’d utilize on all odd style knives.  Until you have experienced sharpening that particular knife and have recorded your WE vice settings so you know exactly where you clamped it from a previous positive outcome, you have to be systematic and try from the most secure, easy to clamp method to the more difficult position and finally use an adapter when all else fails.

There are some other clamps and devices, (Ram Mounts), that WE users have created over the years to help sharpen these difficult shape knives.  These can be seen in the Forum section “Mods”.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.