Advanced Search

Favorite Folding EDC under $15-$20

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Favorite Folding EDC under $15-$20

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

Thanks TC, I ordered 8 of them to keep around the house.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

This insane edc more than $20 but I couldn’t resist sharing it:

https://images.app.goo.gl/pcW64zawpSE96xK56

If that one is a little unreasonable for your wallet, here’s one that’s a little easier to pull the trigger on:

Swiss army knife

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Brewbear
    Participant

Dear God…..with that thing you can field dress a moose, cut up a cow and do brain surgery all at once.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

And open a bottle of wine.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Brewbear
    Participant

Right you are.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

The only really needed tool in the bunch! 🙂

I think this would fit  for the minimalist in the group!

BTW, all I did was google cork screw with knife, never laid hands on this..

https://www.amazon.com/Opinel-1410-Degree10-Corkscrew-Cheese/dp/B001BEL9U4

airscapes
    Participant

Sorry, I meant to include a link, but decided to have a brain fart instead. https://www.grizzly.com/products/Bullets-com-Z-Knife/BL11195

TC, after having these for a while, what angle do you use when sharpening them?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

So I never have to look up the specifics for that type knife, I always mount them with the key in the bottom holes and with the handle touching the vise.  I always set the angle at 20 degrees.  In fact, I do that for almost all of the small knives I have, so I never have to look for the “sweet spot.”

By the way, if you always use an angle cube to set your angle, it doesn’t matter if you use the top or bottom key location.  What’s important is the angle and the position of the blade relative to the vise.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    airscapes
    Participant

Thanks TC, I have to I need to sharpen after using them to replace the caulk around the tub.. grout and ceramic tile wears them out quick but the cut and scrape Silicone really really well.  Now I can just go to it without a lot of time spent on the setup.

Thanks for the help!

Timm
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 44

Reviving this thread two years later….

Seems the price point may have to come up a little with inflation since ’17. Maybe under $30 or so?

My favorites are the little Swiss army pocketknives–no bells nor whistles nor corkscrews: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001P14ZE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details Easy on the pocket and pocketbook.

I just finish touching up the factory edge on one of these that I bought a friend to replace the POS I threw away for him. Victorinox is pretty good steel for the price.

The Opinel #8 is also a great choice still–either carbon or SS (Inox). I carry the filet knife version at all times and like to give away the traditional “peasant’s knife” version to friends who like a little more blade.

Mine:

I have no use for a “multi-tool” type knife. I’ve had several, including Victorinox and Leatherman. I have a Leatherman Wave a boss on a construction job gave me years ago. I don’t recall if I ever used it enough to have to touch up a blade. It’s around here somewhere. Not only are these knives too heavy and bulky to carry, but I almost always carry a 6″ Crescent wrench (real Crescent) and 6-way screwdriver on me. Sometimes a 6″ pair of Vise Grips, too. I fix things for a living so need real tools handy.

I’ve never been a fan of the Wegner brand Swiss Army knives. I don’t even recall why. I just tend to think of them as the “second-rate” SAKs.

Mark Brooks
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

I have no use for a “multi-tool” type knife. I’ve had several, including Victorinox and Leatherman. I have a Leatherman Wave a boss on a construction job gave me years ago. I don’t recall if I ever used it enough to have to touch up a blade. It’s around here somewhere. Not only are these knives too heavy and bulky to carry, but I almost always carry a 6″ Crescent wrench (real Crescent) and 6-way screwdriver on me. Sometimes a 6″ pair of Vise Grips, too. I fix things for a living so need real tools handy.

IMO, if you need multitool and a knife – just get separate multitool and a good EDC knife, I’ve never really digged idea of having it all-in-one tbh. Knife just becomes this thick slab of metal that is not comfortable to use whenever you need it, and if you are using multitool attachments – why not just get a separate Leatherman. Just my 2 cents 😀

2 users thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Replies: 406

IMO, if you need multitool and a knife – just get separate multitool and a good EDC knife, I’ve never really digged idea of having it all-in-one tbh. Knife just becomes this thick slab of metal that is not comfortable to use whenever you need it, and if you are using multitool attachments – why not just get a separate Leatherman. Just my 2 cents 😀[/quote]

That’s what I do. When I leave home, I have a handgun and five knives on me. I carry my multitool in my bag.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.