Advanced Search

Endura 4 VG10 Hair whittling on 2 Micron Diamond Paste.. Go further??

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Endura 4 VG10 Hair whittling on 2 Micron Diamond Paste.. Go further??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cmyhero
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 26

I have been working on a Endura 4 VG10 and it is hair whittling after 2 micron diamond paste and is there any reason to go further than that…, i.e., will it get still sharper and if so how can I quantify its sharpness?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I don’t think there’s a need to go finer than 2 micron, unless your purpose is to achieve something more spiritual. I don’t think there’s much to be gained, other than increasing the level of polish a bit.  With my 50X USB ‘scope, I can’t see a difference.

The hair-whittling test doesn’t work very well for me, as the hair I have left is really fine.  I can ask my wife for one of hers, but she’d get sick of that pretty quick.  One thing I’ve noticed that is a pretty good indicator of sharpness is demonstrated when slicing open an envelope.  Not so much the ease of making the cut, but by the sound produced.  Really sharp knives make very little noise.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I can ask my wife for one of hers, but she’d get sick of that pretty quick.

I can attest to having begged hair for testing from my wife, my mother and some co-workers. Everyone has obliged, but not enthusiastically.

-Clay

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I can ask my wife for one of hers, but she’d get sick of that pretty quick.

I can attest to having begged hair for testing from my wife, my mother and some co-workers. Everyone has obliged, but not enthusiastically.

LOL!

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I guess we should take a Ziploc with us to the barber

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.