Advanced Search

Do you love your Gen 3 Pro (Newest Version)

Recent Forums Main Forum Do you love your Gen 3 Pro (Newest Version)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SVan
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 4

I am seriously considering getting a Gen 3 Pro. If you have the current version do you love it? Would you buy that model again?  Do you find it’s limitations (14-27 degrees, arms are always at equal settings) to often be a problem?  Thanks in advance.

SVan

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

SVan, all of the Wicked Edge models worked very well and will produce a very fine, very sharp, mirrored polished knife edge repeatedly, once the user learns how to use the sharpeners, well.  All models do have their limitations and at the same time they excel in some areas better then other models.  Not anyone model is perfect or necessarily better then the next model.

There are so many different and uniquely styled knives in the world,  that no one sharpener, Wicked Edge or other brand, can sharpen every different knife well.  I still have to use various adapters, accessories and/or modifications with my Wicked Edge sharpeners to expand their ability to sharpen the many kinds of knives I am sharpening.

If I was to be limited to only model Wicked Edge I would choose the WE130.  IMO, it has the most versatility and can sharpen most uneven and asymmetrical bevel edged knives more easily.  It can do everything the Gen 3 Pro will do but maybe, just not as quickly and easily.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Lay
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 27

If you have the current version do you love it? : Yes I have it. Love is a bit too emotional word in this context for a Finnish person like me, but I like it a lot 😉

Would you buy that model again? : Yes. It is easy to use and fast.

Do you find it’s limitations (14-27 degrees, arms are always at equal settings) to often be a problem? : I don’t think I have any knives outside 15-25 degree range or with uneven (intentionally) bevels.

SVan
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 4

Lay

Do you sharpen sitting or standing?  Does the fact that it is taller then the 130 make it more uncomfortable to work with?

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I have the older gen 3 pro. Yes, I like it very much. I sharpen standing because it feels odd to do while sitting and I like to be able to view the edge from the top down. I would probably get the WE130 instead if I were to buy again. It is more flexible and less expensive. I do not feel that the angle range of the sharper is a significant limitation. Who wants a knife with a 30 degree per side edge? Also, I can get down to 11 degrees per side on large knives. With the low angle adapter I can get even lower angles.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Lay
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 27

Lay Do you sharpen sitting or standing? Does the fact that it is taller then the 130 make it more uncomfortable to work with?

I have it on top of a low table so using it while sitting is Ok for me.

Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

I have found that the Gen 2 is often need for me to solve the uneven bevel and asymetrical grind / chisel grind problem; HOWEVER, I use the Gen 3 as often as possible and definitely when I want to use the Low Angle Adapter as its fit and finish works perfect with the Gen 3.

Since I purchased the Gen 2 years ago, buying a Gen 3 wasn’t a major $$$ issue for me and I definitely would not consider selling the Gen 2.

What I did after buying the Gen 3 is sell whatever parts and paddles I didn’t need which helped recoup 1/3 of the cost, give or take, of the Gen 3.

Great questions.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’m a little late to this discussion, but can’t resist chiming in.  I have three rigs: the Gen 1 with the PP upgrades (equiv of WE120), a Gen3 (WE130 model) and a Gen 3 Pro.  All have the microadjust mods. I love them all.  If I had to choose, I’d go back to the Gen 1 and add the Gen 3 vise upgrade.  This would let me go back and forth between vise models, depending on the situation.  That said, I spend most of my sharpening time on the Gen 3 Pro.  When I needed to use my chisel adapter or Low Angle adapter, I go back to the old vise because my old adapters don’t fit the Gen 3 vises as well.  Now I have a new LAA, so that’s no longer a factor.  I’ve been using my Gen 3 Pro for convex edges quite a bit lately.  It’s the cat’s ass.  That’s an American colloquialism for “really cool!.”

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.