Advanced Search

Diamond Stone Longevity?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Diamond Stone Longevity?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

Just watched a Youtube vid on WE.  The guy said he had used his year old WE to do about 60 to 70 knives and had to purchase several new stones, as his originals were worn down to base metal in several spots.  I’m wondering if this is typical diamond stone wear and tear after 60 to 70 knives?  In the weeks I’ve owned my WE, I’ve only done maybe the equivalent of 6 or 7 knives, however after a year or so, I could see maybe 50 knives run across the WE.

I can imagine a lot of diamond stone wear has to do with how much pressure the user puts on the stones when in use.  Maybe to a lesser degree, I’d think general stone maintenance might be a factor.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

https://support.wickededgeusa.com/portal/kb/articles/how-long-will-the-diamond-stones-last

60-70 knives is unreasonably short life for WE stones even if they are used with a lot of pressure. They do wear in and become much less aggressive during initial use. They may have mistaken their nicely broken in stones for being worn out.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I am still using original stones from over 5 years ago.  I have no knife count on them, but it’s in the hundreds.  I can say the finer grit stones will wear faster then the coarser stones, especially if they are used when a lower grit, more abrasive stone, would have been better suited for the job.  If I find after a few minutes of effort that the starting grit I have chosen is not make a dent,  I step down to a coarser grit.  Sometimes I find I need to step down to a coarser grit, again, a second step down.  If the stone is not removing steel with light to light-moderate pressure it is not the correct grit for the steel’s hardness.

I never do more to maintain my diamond stones then wiping them with a dry paper towel.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant

Thanks.  I do now remember reading that 500 knives thing.  60 to 70 knives seemed pretty short, but what do I know.  I initially expected my stones to last quite some time, however after seeing that vid, I was wondering.  Thanks for the clarification.

jabas2000
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 32

This is the video NorCalQ means.

NorCalQ
    Participant

That’s the one!

Marc H

The CK Knives video relates several inaccuracies.  The stones he is unpacking, that he just purchased from Oldawan  are the same price stone for stone, grit for grit, at WIcked Edge, USA.  Bob @ Oldawan does ship free, included in the price.  W.E. ships free with a min. $100 purchase.  There are some resellers on eBay and Amazon selling WE products at higher prices.  There are also registered dealers selling the WE products at MRP.  (Bob chose to sweeten the pie with a gift out of the niceness in his heart.)

The life expectancy of stones has been addressed and discussed many times on this Forum and in Videos.  It may not be common knowledge but it’s not a hidden secret or an avoided conversation.

CK clearly stated he is a knife maker, (65 knives) and he is using the WE stones to create and establish the knife edge for the first time on these new steel knives.  It does take a lot of time, effort and stone pressure with the 100/200 grit pair to shape a new knife edge.  This will result in premature stone wear.  IMO CK should be establishing the bevel and removing more steel with the belt grinder he has, then he is saying he does.  Then he should start on these new knives with the coarsest 50/80 grit stone to establish his edge profiles, for the first time.  He does not own this grit pair.

He stated he sharpened only about 10 knives of other individuals.

The Wicked Edge is a knife sharpening system.  It can be used to profile your knives, (i.e. re-establish and reshape the already established, existing edge bevel and angle).  When used properly and with the appropriate grit for the duty, you should realize hundreds and hundreds of sharpened knives for years and years.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Marc H.
    NorCalQ
    Participant

Thanks Marc.  Points taken.  Creating an edge from scratch would def wear out stones faster, if they are truly worn out.  I remember questioning his prices as well, when I watched the vid, as I thought prices were the same.

I didn’t take his experiences as gospel, however it did get me thinking.  I remembered reading here about stone wear and concluding that these stones should last me a very long time.  That said, I have no way of really knowing if my lite pressure on the stones is actually lite pressure.  I definitely started out using what I would consider heavy pressure, but maybe not so to someone else.  At any rate, the vid just got me thinking about it, so I thought I’d ask.  Like I’ve said before, I sure wish I had you guys standing behind me when I work, watching and catching my errors.

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

NorCalQ,

Next best to actually being there would be to make a video of your sharpening process, progression. I know its a pain in the butt, but it would show your technique, some on here would be able to tell how much pressure your using by sound, motion. Also would be reviewable by you to pick out any quirks or missteps you might be making.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant

Ya…I know that would help.  Funny, I’m a TV News Camera guy, but I can’t see me putting myself on vid for the world to see.  Must be old-timers disease.

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Ha,

Same here. But they only have to see your setup, your hands

jabas2000
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 32

@MarcH it is not an video of my. It is from an American knife maker, CK knives and tools.

Marc H

My sincere apologies to you Jabas2000.

Please forgive me, for addressing my comments to you.

I will edit my post to remove all reference to you.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Frustrated inc
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 27

I just watched this video and it pissed me off. Not because this guy is an idiot and should stick to belt sanding, but because he is spreading misinformation about the product. The prices he gave are way off actual prices. This hits home for me because I do almost all of my product research of new things I want to buy from watching YouTube reviews. This guy is potentially turning people away from this system and it makes me mad because it is a great system, expensive, yes but you get what you pay for. The guy seems nice but if you don’t fully understand a product you shouldn’t make a video on it ,what if this was the first and only video a potential buyer saw, chances are he would pass on the system. Sorry this triggered me so much. Maybe people who understand the system will comment on the video to clear up the inaccuracies and save a few potential buyers that read comments.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

A very dear friend of mine had a bumper sticker on the wall of his office.  It said “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”.  I expand that a little further: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be explained by ignorance.  Another friend had a bumper sticker that said: “Stupidity is forever, but ignorance can be fixed.”  “Ignorance” is just another word for “uneducated.”  We are all  somewhere on the learning curve.  Chad (CK Knives) is just finding the beginning.

7 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.