Advanced Search

Couple new experiences – Convex edge and chisel grinds

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Couple new experiences – Convex edge and chisel grinds

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

2 separate items:

1.  Put my first convex edge with WE Gen 3 Pro on a bushcraft Survive Knives 4.7.  Man, that thing’s still very sharp even with a 25 dps micro bevel, convexed back to 20 dps (Gen 3 settings, not using angle cube).
    2. Took a friend’s Emerson CQC 7 Tanto (all chisel ground for tantos) and had to sharpen it (to keep factory bevel) on my Gen 2 at 35 dps and then go beyond that for the leading bevel!  Really cannot do that on the Gen 3, but that’s ok…right tool for right job.  I will say that managing that burr on the chisel is an art.  It will want to flip back and forth.  This is where experience comes in because some may use a strop and some will stop with DLF, or diamond hones.  I ended up with strops (3.5 micron), with non-edge leading (stroking from spine to edge) strokes and using them at a lower angle for the bevel side, then just running them up, ever so slightly on the flat side.  Worked well and for that aggressive an angle on a chisel grind, it still went through paper well.  Has a reasonably mirror bevel with micro on it for making the edge a bit more resilient to wear.

Happy to hear thoughts.

Pat
    Participant

Forgot to mention the CQC7 was half serrated on the trailing bevel so I just sharpened the serration tips that matched the flat edge and didn’t touch the other parts of the serration given my friend doesn’t doesn’t the serrated edge much.  Likely, that part of the edge where I didn’t hit it is still factory sharp.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

2 separate items:

1. Put my first convex edge with WE Gen 3 Pro on a bushcraft Survive Knives 4.7. Man, that thing’s still very sharp even with a 25 dps micro bevel, convexed back to 20 dps (Gen 3 settings, not using angle cube).

Sounds like you’re moving right up the learning curve!  Did you follow my convex method on the Gen 3 Pro?  (Using the Gen 3 Pro’s detent system for each incremental step)

Way to go!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Pat
    Participant

Actually, I saw your video after I did it, but that method made sense and the speed to do it on the Gen 3 is much better than the Gen 2.  Worked just fine.

Been working on that CQC7 for my friend again as he had major chips in the edge, so had to file that down, then apex the edge again, but instead of taking the primary bevels to close to a mirror again, I will leave the edge more “working” at 600 grit and strop with 3.5 micron and call it done.  Should work well for him being a lab rate at an oil tool manufacturer where I am sure he dinged the knife up in the first place.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.