Advanced Search

Conversion from Original to Advanced Alignment

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Conversion from Original to Advanced Alignment

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cmyhero
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 26

Is there a chart or formula that I can use to convert from original to the advanced alignment guide.

Currently I am needing the conversions from

B.O

B.5

But it would be great to be able to convert any of the original into advanced alignment..

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

This is the newer standard Alignment Guide

AAG-to-AG-Conversion-Photo

This is the original Alignment Guide that came with the first W.E. setup I purchased.

Alignment-Guides-Comparison

This should help

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    cmyhero
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 26

Marc,  it seems you have been with the WE less time than me but you are so advanced unlike myself.  My ORIGINAL alignment guide was a strip made out of metal looking nothing like your original that looks like a modified sheet.  Thus I do not understand the conversions based on your images.  ty

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

The bottom photo, posted in my previous post above, and in this post too, shown alone, is my original thin steel Alignment Guide from about 6 years ago.  Shown in the earlier post it is laid on top of the new lexan AAG.  The depth key pin holes of the steel guide are placed superimposed over the depth key pin holes on the new Advanced Alignment Guide.  In top photo, in the post above, I have placed the newer style clear plastic basic Aligment guide (from around 2018-2019) up at the top of the AAG.  This is so you could more easily see how the letter scales correlate, and translate the basic guide to advanced guide numbers.

I hope that makes it clearer.

B.0 converts to the vertical line between D-E

B.5 coverts to the vertical line between F-G

This is the original thin steel alignment guide below:

Original-Aignment-Guide-Steel

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.