Advanced Search

Chosera Vs Ceramic Stones?

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Mark,
    Where did the Shapton thing come from…:unsure:

I got them from Ken Schwartz. He did a very good job. He’s on the forum, so you can pm him.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Okay I think I have a good idea where to get “bragging rights” for a mirror finish? How about a “scary sharp” knife? Is that chosera or ceramics?

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Okay I think I have a good idea where to get “bragging rights” for a mirror finish? How about a “scary sharp” knife? Is that chosera or ceramics?

Both. Even the diamonds give you very sharp edges. No worries.

Ken

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Take a look a the grit comparison chart. In general, the higher the grit, the sharper you can get the knife. This is only a general statement: it depends on the knife steel, heat treatment, your sharpening abilities, etc. And, as Phil said, grit size doesn’t say it all.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Okay guys finally got my arms in and assembled the We. I have to tell you I just love the upgraded arms!! There is just no comparison? The feel, the precision, being able to keep your angle (100%)from diamonds to choseras to strops, Just a beautiful thing!!
    The choseras are pretty darn cool themselves! I’m not sure if we have a official decision on what a mirror looks like? But the knife was capable of reflecting newsprint, which is good for me! Now I have to see just how sharp I can make a knife? Let the journey begin.
    Oh and one more thing. I have to give a shout out to Bob Nash at Oldawans. This man is so honest and filled with integrity he is wonderful to do business with!! Helpful, knowledgeable and when he says he is going to do something it gets done. I would not even think of going someplace else!!

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

This is an excellent thread, gents!

I’ll work backwards – The Choseras will last a while, especially if you start with the stock diamonds to do the “heavy lifting”, as Curtis mentioned. Last year at BLADE, I started with diamonds and used my 800/2K combo on I don’t know how many knives of varying steels, including S30V, and I did not lap them the entire time :ohmy: They were slightly dished, of course, and took what I would call about 3 normal lapping sessions to fix. Not much considering the workload they had endured. It’s safe to say that most of the wear on my Choseras is from lapping since I usually lap after each knife, even though I sharpen each level to perfection.

As for grit comparisons, Phillip stated it very well – the Grit sizes are really the only consistent way of measuring different stones/mediums, after that it’s all about how they work, and how it mixes with your technique. There have been several threads that confirm the need for a bridge from the stock diamonds to the polishing stages, especially when jumping to the pastes. The ceramics, Choseras and Shaptons basically fill that gap and then some on both ends of it.

And for the OP, some very sound advice regarding the cost and time factors, however, it really depends on your sharpening philosophy[/url]. But don’t worry, you won’t go wrong with any of the products the Wicked Edge offers – especially with the extremely helpful and knowledgeable people around this forum. B)

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.