Advanced Search

Chipped Edge-solutions?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ryan
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 21

On my fourth knife now using WEPS. It’s a Santoku stainless steel kitchen knife probably in the sub-$20 price range. Nothing fancy or high end.

It has historically been re-sharpened on a Sharpmaker at 20 degree 40 inclusive. My wife uses this thing like it is a ball peen hammer and the edge is in literally very rough shape. Lot’s of nick and chipped spots in the edge. I set it up on the WEPS at 20 degree and took it back to 100 grit and have brought it up to 800 grit where I stopped. It took some of the damage out but not all of it.

Any suggestions or strategies on how to eventually correct this or recover it back to a decent edge? Or chalk it up as a good practice knife and buy her something else?

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

If it were me i would take your 400 grit stones and grind away all of the damage perpendicular to the edge….) ie cutting directly into the stone). After t that is all removed you can sharpen and it goes much quicker.

Ryan
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 21

So basically intentionally flatten or grind the edge down – thanks for this solution!!!

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Thanks, Josh. That’s a helluva good idea!

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Yeah, I have found that if you don’t do this, not only does it take longer, but you can think you have Erased the chip when you in fact, haven’t. How did it go Ryan?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.