Advanced Search

Check out what just rolled in… Perfect for WEPS

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Advanced Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Check out what just rolled in… Perfect for WEPS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

So someone asked me if I can sharpen this… They use it at his work for cutting paper board on their CAD table. I haven’t attempted it yet… Hope it goes ok :- I told him $10 but I’m second guessing myself now. He has about 5 more needing sharpened, but This is a trial. The good news is that he doesn’t care if I screw it up 🙂 they normally just trash them anyway and then buy a new one (for about $40-45 ea). I’ll keep you posted!

It is double sided (which will be challenging) and I think it’s at 28dps. I don’t think I would want to do this on powered equipment though…

Wesley
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 18

What kind of work do you do? Your hands look like mine. LOL. Looks like that is going to be a tough one to sharpen.

Josh
    Participant

Haha! Yeah I just got done regrinding my mini grip… Edges less than .010″ now 🙂 check it out

I’m a cop by day though 😉

Wesley
    Participant

That looks sweet. One day I will have a belt grinder setup so I can do things like that, I just have to buy a house first.

Well I wish I was cop! I am a machine maintenance technician. I do everything from electrical to machining parts to keep everything running.

Josh
    Participant

I don’t have a house either… Just renting… Probably should have made wiser decisions lol but oh well.

Man, you may be in a position to machine some “Super secret squirrel” parts for clay if you have that ability… I would get with him on that 🙂

Nah, you really don’t want to be a cop… Its not all its cracked up to be. Very political and always have to worry about being sued lol

Wesley
    Participant

You have a good point on the cop part.

I hope to buy a house this year. I am 39 and should have made better decisions myself, but hey we only live once and we can’t take it with us when we go, right.

I wish I could.Unfortunately they are super strict because we do a lot of government stuff, so we have to be careful about what we do. I talked to my boss about machining some small parts for a project that I had at the house, you would have thought I was asking to take the whole machine shop to my house to do it.

I have seen some of the work you do and it looks great.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Good job thats going to produce an awesome edge.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Looks like it will have to go in the low angle jaws if it is going to be sharpened on the WE.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Looks like it will have to go in the low angle jaws if it is going to be sharpened on the WE.

Definitely! Very interested in how you fare…

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

I hope to buy a house this year. I am 39 and should have made better decisions myself, but hey we only live once and we can’t take it with us when we go, right.

Hey, you guys. My wife & I didn’t buy a house until our late 40’s. My Dad was still alive then. He & I walked together to the back of the property. As we turned around, he put his arm around my shoulders, looked me in the eye (with a twinkle) and said, “Now, you’ll figure out why a lot of people think it is better to rent than own.

You can’t call the landlord to fix the deck or refrigerator. A leaky dishwasher is a $10,000 kitchen floor rebuild.

Oh, I suppose there are the benefits, but I’m just saying, not owning a house yet isn’t a sign of anything!!

Granted, there’s something else that’s nice about coming home as opposed to coming to the rental.

Maybe those decisions of a well-spent youth “were” the right decisions! When else do you get THOSE experiences!!! B) :silly: :blink: :pinch:

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Wesley
    Participant

Thanks, I can’t say I haven’t lived. LOL. I guess it’s about time to slow down A little.

Josh
    Participant

No low angle accessory… The angle was about 27 dps 🙂 but this thing is sharpening WEIRD… Like no other steel I’ve sharpened before, it sharpens like ceramic knives do. The edge just keeps crumbling away and NEVER develops a burr. I am wondering if it’s ceramic partly or a tungsten carbide stee l or something weird? I used diamond tape down to 3um and it has a mirror polish and shaves easily now 🙂 but it took forever for me to figure that out. It is slightly magnetic but not as much as normal steel… Any ideas?

Anthony Yan
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 96

Maybe it is tungsten carbide?

I’m thinking that in many paper and textile machines, they use carbide because they don’t want to sharpen it very often. HSS is also common, but less wear resistant from what I understand.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cemented_carbide

Tungsten carbide is incredibly hard and brittle; it is basically a ceramic powder of tungsten carbide which is bound together with a cobalt binder. (Other binders are possible, but cobalt is the most common.) So my guess is that’s what you’re seeing. See link above.

Not sure how to sharpen it. I have heard people got good results sharpening ceramic knives with diamond lapping films (Ken Schwartz sells some), for example the various 3M diamond films. So probably that would work for carbide as well? Here’s a YouTube of Tom Blodgett shaving with a ceramic knife that was sharpened with diamond film:

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

We’ll be offering up some diamond lapping films soon. I’ve used them to great effect on ceramic blades. The manufacturers of the knives at Boker and Stone River were absolutely shocked at how sharp their knives could get on the WE with diamond films.

-Clay

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

How soon, Clay? I’ve been playing with making a pair of blocks using plate glass for the platens. With diamond film available, I’ll need to make a few more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.