Advanced Search

Ceramic stones use dry or wet?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I read posts and viewed videos suggesting wetting Diamond Stones to keep the dust down. Should the Ceramic Stones that come with the Pro Pac II be used dry or wetted?

Thanks,
    Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

you can use those wetted as well… put a small drop of dish soap in with your water too.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

What does the soap do?

I use mine wet. Just enough water to get them damp. You don’t soak them like water stones.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

What does the soap do?

I use mine wet. Just enough water to get them damp. You don’t soak them like water stones.

it may help clean a little bit more than just the plain water… the reason i do it though is so the water doesn’t get moldy inside my bottle 😉

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

What does the soap do?

I use the soap because it lubricates a little more then plain water and it suspends loose particles well. It also creates a little foam which helps prevent the water from running all over the place and making a mess. It works especially well if you have a flat dish behind the sharpener with a sponge in the water, the top surface above the waterline. With that setup, all you do is periodically dab the stones against the sponge to pick up the swarf and moisten the stone.

-Clay

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Good idea. Thanks.

JS
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 109

I spray my strops with rubbing alcohol so having the spray bottle handy, I’ve used this to spray my ceramics as well. I haven’t seen any adverse affects from spraying them with alcohol, but I’ve used both water and alcohol on them with similar results.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.