Advanced Search

Can't get the angle below 24%

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    swiggamortis
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 2

I just purchased my WE Pro pack 1 and must be doing something wrong. I can’t get an angle below 24 degrees per side. I have l zerod out my cube, using the top setting on the clamp for my folder and anything below 24 just hits the vise. I am also using the shorter screw. I assume the degree the cube is showing doesn’t need to be divided by 2 but is per side?? What am I missing?

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Can you post pics?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Pictures would be a great help, especially if you could show how you’re zeroing your AngleCube and how you’re measuring the angles.  Zero the cube with it sitting on the base, with its axis of rotation parallel to the knife edge; i. e. with the display facing you.  The angle is measured relative to a vertical axis.  Tip the cube to the left or right to measure your grind angle.

The angles indicated on the degree-bar are an approximation, using an edge mounted 5/8″ above the top of the jaws.  The slope on the sides of the vise jaws is about 13 or 14 degrees, so you should be able to get close to that.  Lower angles if the edge is mounted higher than the 5/8″.

WE sells a “Low Angle Adapter” which raises the blade up a couple of inches above the vise.  It’s used for achieving very low angles as well as for clamping smaller blades.  I think the Pro Pack II includes a “riser” block which raises the vise about an inch and a half.  This also helps with achieving lower angles, but I don’t think you should need any of these to reach down to about 15 dps.

Josh, of RazorEdgeKnives has shown that he can get down to less than seven dps by using the Low Angle Adapter and the Tormek small knife adapter.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

How does the gauge correspond to the reading on the angle bar?

Are you actually reading degrees or percent?  I thought at first you were using ‘%’ as a substitute for degrees, but there is a ‘%’ setting on some digital gauges.  A quick check of mine… 24% equals around 13.5°. So, might be that.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    swiggamortis
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 2

Let me give up my man card now gentleman I just figured it out. The cube wasn’t calibrated correctly. Thank you all for the help and happy sharpening.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.