Advanced Search

Bent vice

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

Unbelievable!!!!!!! Its amazing the difference this vise makes. Its like a whole new system now. I’ve never had one with the steel insert….it also feels like its made out of some different material too. idk

Attachments:
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Gee, I think Josh said that his vise bent and he’s not been applying more than a quarter turn or so of jack-screw force. It doesn’t seem logical that this would happen and I ‘m dying to understand why. Are you guys cranking on it when clamping a knife right at the very top edge of the vise?

For DSGrouse and any other interested parties: A bit of advise… The top screw doesn’t have to be tightened at all. It only sets the distance between the jaws. For normal blades, you use the top screw to set the right-hand jaw to be parallel to the left jaw with the gap between them to be about equal to the thickness of the spine of the blade. This ensures that the top of the jaws will clamp securely on the faces of the blade. Having done so, tighten the jack (bottom) screw about 1/4 to 1/2 turn past contact. Three-quarter turn is probably too tight. If the jack screw doth protest too much, put a little grease (otherwise known as wienerschleiden) on the threads. Anti-seize grease is best, but I like reloader’s RCBS resizing lube – less messy.

If a quarter-to-half turn doesn’t hold the blade securely, try putting tape on the blade to give the vise something to bite into.

Lance Waller
    Participant

Gee, I think Josh said that his vise bent and he’s not been applying more than a quarter turn or so of jack-screw force. It doesn’t seem logical that this would happen and I ‘m dying to understand why. Are you guys cranking on it when clamping a knife right at the very top edge of the vise?

For DSGrouse and any other interested parties: A bit of advise… The top screw doesn’t have to be tightened at all. It only sets the distance between the jaws. For normal blades, you use the top screw to set the right-hand jaw to be parallel to the left jaw with the gap between them to be about equal to the thickness of the spine of the blade. This ensures that the top of the jaws will clamp securely on the faces of the blade. Having done so, tighten the jack (bottom) screw about 1/4 to 1/2 turn past contact. Three-quarter turn is probably too tight. If the jack screw doth protest too much, put a little grease (otherwise known as wienerschleiden) on the threads. Anti-seize grease is best, but I like reloader’s RCBS resizing lube – less messy.

If a quarter-to-half turn doesn’t hold the blade securely, try putting tape on the blade to give the vise something to bite into.

I know what I was doing to bend mine. I was cranking down on the top screw and then cranking down on the bottom screw to get the correct distance between the the 2 parts of vise like you were talking about. Im gonna try a diff approach with this one an be a little more gentle 😉

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Unbelievable!!!!!!! Its amazing the difference this vise makes. Its like a whole new system now. I’ve never had one with the steel insert….it also feels like its made out of some different material too. idk

When did you receive the vise shown in the image? I’m pretty sure you were the one who let me know the ones with the insert were on a 2-3 week backorder. Unless I’m mistaken?

I’d definitely like to get one with the insert since the replacement I received doesn’t have it… And even though I filed the lower cap screw to sit flush against the right jaw, it still doesn’t feel as solid as the one I had replaced.

Lance Waller
    Participant

When did you receive the vise shown in the image? I’m pretty sure you were the one who let me know the ones with the insert were on a 2-3 week backorder. Unless I’m mistaken?

I’d definitely like to get one with the insert since the replacement I received doesn’t have it… And even though I filed the lower cap screw to sit flush against the right jaw, it still doesn’t feel as solid as the one I had replaced.[/quote]

Just got it Friday. There’s a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

I assume you emailed Kyle? Or did you call and speak to speak to Sarah?

Lance Waller
    Participant

I talked to Kyle and told him it was bent and he had told me a couple weeks they were expecting these in and this is what he sent.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

I talked to Kyle and told him it was bent and he had told me a couple weeks they were expecting these in and this is what he sent.

Thanks for the input. I guess I need to call first thing tomorrow and try getting another one shipped to me.

Lance Waller
    Participant

Thanks for the input. I guess I need to call first thing tomorrow and try getting another one shipped to me.[/quote]

Yea….I had no idea the difference it makes. All you have to do is literally a 1/4 turn or less on the bottom screw and you’re good. But….I keep bending them. I’m hoping the new vise will fix this problem for me. This is my 3rd vise and I’m not abusing it either. :/

Lance Waller
    Participant

Man! I cant wait for the new vise to come out! It will solve all of these problems I’ve been having. FFG, bending, angle being off on the right side because the vise moves out to the right. Cant wait!!!!

Attachments:
    Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

I called and spoke with Kyle yesterday. He told me they still haven’t received the ones with the insert… Strange :huh:

Lance Waller
    Participant

I called and spoke with Kyle yesterday. He told me they still haven’t received the ones with the insert… Strange :huh:

Yea…that is weird. I was surprised that mine had the insert. I’m glad it did though. They will fix you up. Maybe there was one lying around and they found it and sent it to me.

JS
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 109

I think mine is starting to get pretty bent out of shape to the point it needs replacing. Are the WE guys out of town right now? I tried sending a couple emails to customer service last week and haven’t heard anything back yet.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I think mine is starting to get pretty bent out of shape to the point it needs replacing. Are the WE guys out of town right now? I tried sending a couple emails to customer service last week and haven’t heard anything back yet.

It’s been crazy around here with the move, implementing new inventory software and getting ready for a couple of shows. All lame excuses aside, I’ll make sure Kyle gets right back to you.

-Clay

JS
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 109

It’s been crazy around here with the move, implementing new inventory software and getting ready for a couple of shows. All lame excuses aside, I’ll make sure Kyle gets right back to you.[/quote]
    No worries, Clay. I figured something big must be going on right now as you guys have always been lightning fast in responding to emails. As always, I appreciate you guys’ help.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.