Advanced Search

Bent vice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

Tell me guys. Is my vice bent at the top or are all of them like this? Looks bent out to me. This is tightened all the way up. Bottom and middle of vice are touching….the top does not touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Looks like it could be starting to bend on you. My original vise shows just a touch of light through the top (similar to your pic) after years of use and is working fine like that so I’d probably just keep an eye on it and if it gets wider give Wicked Edge a call and I’m sure that they will get you set up with a replacement lickety split

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Yeah its bent… I’ve had a few like this… Call wicked edge and they will get you a new one right out 🙂

Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

A few? How many WEPS does one man need? 😛

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Some of us have a tendency to perhaps overtighten a bit? I was using a hex nut driver and it was supplying way more torque then was healthy for my first vice.

It’s a tough delima. I can be aggressive in my sharpening and prefer a rock solid knife mount, but too tight and the vice “no can handle”. 🙂

Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

Maybe it is just me, but I cannot see how that slight variation can make hardly a difference when mounting the knife. Can you actually tell that the knives are not holding as well as they should be because of this? Are they bending to one side (assuming not FFG)?

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Some of us have a tendency to perhaps overtighten a bit? I was using a hex nut driver and it was supplying way more torque then was healthy for my first vice.

It’s a tough delima. I can be aggressive in my sharpening and prefer a rock solid knife mount, but too tight and the vice “no can handle”. 🙂

that is me… I like it to be rock solid and I currently “compromise” with a lighter grip until I can get my new tool steel vise heat treated. 🙂

Maybe it is just me, but I cannot see how that slight variation can make hardly a difference when mounting the knife. Can you actually tell that the knives are not holding as well as they should be because of this? Are they bending to one side (assuming not FFG)?

Yes, they will create inconsistency. While this little of bending may not make that much of a noticeable difference, you really begin to notice it when doing knives with a small blade that you don’t have much area to clamp on to and you need a solid grip. And on ffg knives it will cause them to rock left to right.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

An opportunity to teach… For blades which can be clamped on parallel surfaces, before tightening the blade in the vise, you should set the two screws like so:

1. Adjust the top screw to set the opening between the jaws to a distance very close to the blade thickness.

2. Then set the lower screw to put the space between the two jaws at the bottom to approximately the same opening. Remember that it can only push – it can’t pull.

3. Now use the top screw to clamp the blade into the position you need. You only need to tighten the top screw enough to keep the blade from falling out of the vise.

4. Turn the lower screw until it make contact with the opposite jaw. Then turn the lower screw another 1/4 to 1/2 turn past contact.

Except for very heavy or very long blades, you should never need more torque applied to the lower screw than it takes to turn the 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

The upper screw shouldn’t need to be tightened more than snug. It is intended only to set the jaw opening distance.

Full-flat ground blades require more finesse. Check out Josh’s video at https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forum/6-techniques-and-sharpening-strategies/13084-bevel-angles#18509

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

My vice looks pretty much the same 🙁

As Josh previously stated, it will definitely cause some inconsistencies.

The new vise Clay’s been working on should do away with the issue… When it will be available to buy, that I don’t know.

Greg Kusmierek
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

Mine looks like too and I just received it.

Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

Thanks guys. Sent Kyle an email with pics. Guess he will get back to me tomorrow.

JS
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 109

I looked at mine last night, and when I press the bottom and middle of the blocks together there is a slight gap at the top like this. Can’t really tell if it’s bent though and not sure that it really affects performance…

Donnie Allen
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

Sent email about my vise being bent. I received a reply within two days asking for my address and that they would ship me a new one. I have never had any company reply with this type of customer service. I sent my address and pictures of my vice and received the new vice within a week. This is one of the best companies I have ever dealt with as far as customers service.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

Here’s my vise. Please watch and tell me what you think.

Thanks!!!

Wicked Edge Sharpener – Bent Vise: http://youtu.be/XJDr_txj6xs

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

Just got off the phone with Wicked Edge and getting a new vise sent to me was way too easy. Awesome customer service.

THANK YOU SARAH!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.