Advanced Search

Bent vice

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Thanks guys. Sent Kyle an email with pics. Guess he will get back to me tomorrow.

You posted this a little over 2 weeks ago. Just curious to know if you received it, and, if so, how is it?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Usually, when a user shows a bent vise, I consider chastising him for overtighting the jack screw. From your video, I can see that the jaws have been milled out of square in two axes. This is indeed a case of WEPS needing to sort out what could be a serious problem with a supplier.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

Here’s a good visual illustration by Dan from Elite Edges.

Bent wicked edge vise?How to mount your knife right:

blacksheep25
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 68

Here is another perspective for all you people thinking the bent vise is a problem… I have had my original vise for 4 years, are they bent? Maybe (actually yes). But I am not trying to clamp a piece of paper. The thinnest knife I have is a MSC (Strider) Zipper, which is 1/16″ thick. And I can clamp that knife just fine. And since we’re on the topic, I filed down my lower clamp screw 4 years ago, I just took this picture of the clamp, it is fine too (doesn’t wobble, and I won’t be punching through the other side anytime soon).

Wicked Edge and Clay’s customer service is top shelf. I will admit I am a fan boy of the WE, and support first class American Engineering. Very few companies go to the level that the WE Team does to satisfy the customer. These threads/posts whining (yes I said it) about small problems, I’ll just say you should pay someone else to sharpen your knives. =

Clay, from one engineer to another, I tip my hat to you Sir!

Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

Here is another perspective for all you people thinking the bent vise is a problem… I have had my original vise for 4 years, are they bent? Maybe (actually yes). But I am not trying to clamp a piece of paper. The thinnest knife I have is a MSC (Strider) Zipper, which is 1/16″ thick. And I can clamp that knife just fine. And since we’re on the topic, I filed down my lower clamp screw 4 years ago, I just took this picture of the clamp, it is fine too (doesn’t wobble, and I won’t be punching through the other side anytime soon).

Wicked Edge and Clay’s customer service is top shelf. I will admit I am a fan boy of the WE, and support first class American Engineering. Very few companies go to the level that the WE Team does to satisfy the customer. These threads/posts whining (yes I said it) about small problems, I’ll just say you should pay someone else to sharpen your knives. =

Clay, from one engineer to another, I tip my hat to you Sir!

Ok…..here I go. I haven’t complained a bit about WEPS customer service. They have taken care of me every step of the way and taken care of any problem I have ever had by replacing anything I was having a problem with. They have the absolute best customer service I have ever seen from any company I have ever dealt with (BAR NONE). This is my post so that’s why I am wondering if it is me you are referring to because I have nothing but praise for these guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

Not that I was, nor am I, speaking about WEPS customer service, because it is the BEST… But I’m pretty sure he’s referring to my comment(s).

Lance Waller
    Participant

Well….my new vise has done the same thing! Uggghhhh!!

Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

How are you adjusting the screws the clamp the vice on your blades?

I follow Josh’s recommendation and have found it to work just fine, although I haven’t had any need to check for vice irregularities (bending).

I tighten the top screw as much as possible by hand with the included WE wrench, which usually will result in the vice gap from top to bottom being wider to narrower, then I tighten the bottom just enough to widen the bottom to make the vice gap equidistant from top to bottom. This has worked just fine.

Frankly, if my vice looked like yours, I would just use it until it no longer could yield consistent results on both sides, or hold my blade sufficiently for the course of a sharpening process.

With all due respect, I completely understand the persnicketiness of seeking the ultimate in the removal of all remnants of imperfections in the WE unit, but if that is your goal, you may find its encroachment upon actually sharpening knives.

As always, YMMV and my BS factor may be in play.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I follow Josh’s recommendation and have found it to work just fine, although I haven’t had any need to check for vice irregularities (bending).

I tighten the top screw as much as possible by hand with the included WE wrench, which usually will result in the vice gap from top to bottom being wider to narrower, then I tighten the bottom just enough to widen the bottom to make the vice gap equidistant from top to bottom. This has worked just fine.

Frankly, if my vice looked like yours, I would just use it until it no longer could yield consistent results on both sides, or hold my blade sufficiently for the course of a sharpening process.

With all due respect, I completely understand the persnicketiness of seeking the ultimate in the removal of all remnants of imperfections in the WE unit, but if that is your goal, you may find its encroachment upon actually sharpening knives.

[/quote]

IMHO the vise in question may not actually affect performance, but I have one similar that I will be calling about today to have replaced. The issue is that most here have spend hundreds, if not $1k+ like myself, on the WEPS and it should not be doing this. Personally I sharpen a huge variety of blades and this small bending can be a problem when I am sharpening something weird =) And i can’t afford for my Wicked Edge to go down for a couple of days. I am sure Wicked Edge will get this sorted out at some point after it ends up costing them too much in the long run… but for now, just make sure you aren’t over tightening and if/when it bends, call Wicked Edge and get a replacement.

Lance Waller
    Participant

[/quote]

IMHO the vise in question may not actually affect performance, but I have one similar that I will be calling about today to have replaced. The issue is that most here have spend hundreds, if not $1k+ like myself, on the WEPS and it should not be doing this. Personally I sharpen a huge variety of blades and this small bending can be a problem when I am sharpening something weird =) And i can’t afford for my Wicked Edge to go down for a couple of days. I am sure Wicked Edge will get this sorted out at some point after it ends up costing them too much in the long run… but for now, just make sure you aren’t over tightening and if/when it bends, call Wicked Edge and get a replacement.[/quote]

I always tighten the top screw as tight as i can get it….then as wepsflana stated….I make the gap uniform from top to bottom by tightening up the bottom screw. I had my ZT 0620 in there last night and it kept rocking side to side and then I realized why….it was because of the bent vise. Thats enough of a bend to cause the knife to rock in the vise.

Aaron kimpton
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 155

I dont tighten the top screw super tight. I snug it then 1/4 to half turn. keeping the base even. Then i snug the bottom about 1/2-3/4 till snug. I don’t crank on it.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I always tighten the top screw as tight as i can get it….then as wepsflana stated….I make the gap uniform from top to bottom by tightening up the bottom screw. I had my ZT 0620 in there last night and it kept rocking side to side and then I realized why….it was because of the bent vise. Thats enough of a bend to cause the knife to rock in the vise.

yeah you would actually have to over compensate for the bent part and make the bottom gap wider in this case if you didn’t want any rock… definitely need to get it replaced tho

Pat
    Participant

I agree that it shouldn’t be supertight, so that is why I just use my hands/fingers to tighten, not an allen wrench or anything like that. When I do it right, the bottom screw really just needs a 1/4 turn after making contact to move the vice enough to create the needed grip.

Frankly, unless I notice my knives moving in the vice, I don’t plan to check whether it is bent. Plausible deniability :).

Aaron kimpton
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 155

Plausible deniability is a very under rated as a tool for any kind of work.

Pat
    Participant

Plausible deniability is a very under rated as a tool for any kind of work.

Agreed, especially politics.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.