Advanced Search

Beautiful Minor bevel.

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Beautiful Minor bevel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 44

Gave my hard working Spyderco Endura 4 a make over tonight on the WEP.

Polished up the main 15 dps bevel to a mirror polish and then dressed up micro bevel at 20 dps with a 800 grit stones.

Wow what and edge.  Shaving sharp and will last for ages.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Steve

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

That looks great and very effective.

-Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Steve
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 44

One thing I really like about using a micro bevel is that you do not have to touch the main bevel and remove unnecessary material to sharpen the knife unless it becomes damaged or in poor condition etc.

Put the knife in the clamp, use the angle cube to get a few measuresments of the angle of the blade in the clamp, do a little math and boom, a quick and easy touch up of the micro bevel at a precise 20 dps in seconds for a returned razor sharp knife that lasts very well.

Steve

dulledge
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 183

Speaking about mirror main edge and microbevel 800 grit. Cutting which materials do you feel the difference if main bevel is mirror polished or it is elso 800 grit? In other words, why do you mirror polish the main bevel? Is it for esthetic value only? I guess that I would feel the difference when slicing paper, but I do not slice paper much in real life. I am asking because I didn’t polish to mirror yet and would like to know if I am losing much?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

A mirror main bevel serves to reduce friction when cutting through many different materials, but it’s also aided by the more acute main bevel angle associated with microbevel edges.  In real life it probably wouldn’t make much of a difference to a person who is not knowledgeable in these matters, but for us zealots it’s a real thing.  Lower friction doesn’t just ease the way; it extends the life of the edge by reducing the amount of force we need to apply.

An even more important factor in reducing friction lies in the thickness of the blade at the shoulders of the main bevel.   So for us “zealots” who seek to produce the sharpest possible edge, we look for the best possible angle, the degree of polish and blade thickness at the shoulders of the main bevel.  Of course, blade thickness is something we normally cannot change, but when we can, the result is a “whoo-hoo!” experience.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    dulledge
    Participant

Mirror polish is definitely great when no microbevel is used. For example, for razor sharp edge all the way to the apex. You can shave with it, but it is not durable.

In case when microbevel is used, mirror main edge is only for a good look, I guess. Is there really a noticeable friction on 800 grit main edge that humans can feel the difference?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Is there really a noticeable friction on 800 grit main edge that humans can feel the difference?

When we sharpened the competition choppers and applied some metrics to the different edges we tested, we found a significant improvement in cutting performance once we polished the bevels, specifically when we were chopping through the dowel. Initially the chopper wouldn’t go all the way through the dowel. The shoulders were still rough ground from the original grinding and we observed material from the dowel collecting in the grooves, which led us to polish the shoulders. Once we did, we were able to successfully chop the 1″ dowel cleanly.

-Clay

1 user thanked author for this post.
    dulledge
    Participant

The shoulders were still rough ground from the original grinding and we observed material from the dowel collecting in the grooves

Do you remember the original grinding grit number?

wickededge
    Keymaster

The shoulders were still rough ground from the original grinding and we observed material from the dowel collecting in the grooves

Do you remember the original grinding grit number?

I don’t know what it was because we just received it from the customer as-is. I’d guess that it was around 400#. IIRC, we tried a medium polish and a high polish and settled on the high polish because it performed better.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

I guess I didn’t remember correctly 🙂 Here’s a link to the write-up we did for the chopper tests: https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/competition-chopper/

-Clay

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Clay do you lower the set angle any to stay away from the bevel and specifically aim the polishing at the shoulder.

Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

dulledge
    Participant

I am thinking how to justify lapping films for my 15 years old Henckels kitchen knives set. Is 800-1000 grit good enough for main bevel? Am I just going closer to OCD territory? 

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

If your Henckels are like mine, they’re quite thin at the shoulders and wouldn’t gain much from polishing.  I do mine with 800 or 1000, depending on the mood I’m in.  But sometimes polishing is just to make you feel good.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    dulledge
    Participant

If your Henckels are like mine, they’re quite thin at the shoulders and wouldn’t gain much from polishing. I do mine with 800 or 1000, depending on the mood I’m in. But sometimes polishing is just to make you feel good.

Thank you very much! Tom, you are my OCD doctor. I am so relieved.  It is very good to know where I can safely draw a line and don’t go mirror crazy with no practical benefit.

dulledge
    Participant

Hope you enjoy the photos.   Steve

I did enjoy your photos. Your main bevel and micro bevel are beautiful! Thank you for posting them! I noticed that you used android cell phone and your pics are excellent. Which microscope and software did you use? Are you happy with it? Do you know anything that is better then that?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.