Advanced Search

Atoma 140’s… re-profiling made easy!

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Atoma 140’s… re-profiling made easy!

Viewing 3 posts - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I read on another forum that with the Atoma 140 whilst working quickly it will knock off big chunks of steel that can put deep scratches in the bevel so if you wish to work on a quality knife don’t go much lower than 300 grit; or do not do all the thinning with the Atoma 140 allow enough thinning for the +300 grits so that you can get the scratches out.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Eamon

Just looking to see if the past six months have changed your view on any of the atomas.

I talked to Eamon on the phone about 3 weeks ago and he was telling me that he had the same experience as me… the 140’s quit working very well. they work great for a little while, but the diamonds rip out of the substrate and they are WAY less aggresive. I went back to using my stock WEPS 100/200’s most of the time. Kudos to Clay for pointing this out in the beginning of this thread (in a very humble and open way might I add).

I read on another forum that with the Atoma 140 whilst working quickly it will knock off big chunks of steel that can put deep scratches in the bevel so if you wish to work on a quality knife don’t go much lower than 300 grit; or do not do all the thinning with the Atoma 140 allow enough thinning for the +300 grits so that you can get the scratches out.

I never had that issue that I am aware of… but I wasn’t trying to get mirror/polished edges either – which is where the deeper scratches will really show up.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Thanks for your input, Josh.

Viewing 3 posts - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.