Advanced Search

Atoma 140’s… re-profiling made easy!

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Atoma 140’s… re-profiling made easy!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hey guys, in the other topic on Atoma’s ( http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=14&id=12530&Itemid=271 ) two types of Atoma “foil” are mentioned: thick (1 mm) stainless steel and thinner (0.5 mm) copper foil.

Have you got any idea which type Oldawan uses?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Eritt Darnell
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 12

Well from just looking at the pics on Oldawan’s site it doesn’t look like copper. If you really need to know though just give Bob a call at Oldawan, he would be glad to help I’m sure. I do know the Oldawan ones are bonded to an aluminum or some other type metal to increase the thickness and make them the same thickness as the other WE stones.

Mark76
    Participant

Well from just looking at the pics on Oldawan’s site it doesn’t look like copper.

Thanks. I should have seen that. And the site says: ” The mono-crystalline diamonds are electro-bonded to a stainless-steel sheet …”. 🙂 http://www.oldawan.com/sharpen/atoma-diamond-plates-for-wicked-edge/

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

They are the stainless plates not the copper film. I get my plates cut and mounted to the aluminum by Ken and sell them in pairs loose or I mount them here in my shop if people want (or pull apart their handles to replace WE plates with Atomas like I did for Eamon replacing his 50 grit with 140). Thanks for the interest! :cheer:

Hey guys, in the other topic on Atoma’s ( http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=14&id=12530&Itemid=271 ) two types of Atoma “foil” are mentioned: thick (1 mm) stainless steel and thinner (0.5 mm) copper foil.

Have you got any idea which type Oldawan uses?

Mark76
    Participant

Hey Bob! :cheer:

Do you realize you are tempting at least one person and probably more? 😉 I’m seriously considering the Atoma’s, especially the 1200 grit ones. (But probably all of them… 😉 )

Can you tell us about the thickness of these plates? Are they the same size as the WE handles when mounted with their aluminium blanks?

And if so, how should they be mounted to be the same thickness? I have some spare blank handles and some 3M tape WE uses to mount the stones to the handles, but this tape adds a little to the overall thickness. Should the Atoma plates + aluminium blanks be mounted with glue only (no added thickness) or with the tape (a little added thickness)?

And can you tell us anything about their durability? If I understand this topic correctly, that’s a reason Clay decided not to carry them.

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Hi Mark – 🙂 Sorry to be gone so long from the forum….. Happy to help anyone out with what they are looking for :silly: :woohoo:

Sure I can tell you more. I too use the 3M VHB tape to attach these to handles so what you have will work great. The thickness mounted with that tape is pretty close to identical as the WEPS stock stones – that was the goal! Eamon’s measurements were pretty spot on. Mine vary from my Wicked Edge stock handles less than 0.1mm thicker or thinner (less than 0.0039 inches and Eamon measured his 140s at 0.003 thicker) – my WE stones seem to vary in the same range from one to another.

Josh will probably have a better sense of the durability as I imagine he uses his a lot more than I do. Since I am selling systems I work at shows with the stock diamonds and at shows is where I do a majority of my sharpening. So far they seem to be standing up about the same as the Wicked Edge stones, better than DMT.

Hope that helps some – gotta run!

Hey Bob! :cheer:

Do you realize you are tempting at least one person and probably more? 😉 I’m seriously considering the Atoma’s, especially the 1200 grit ones. (But probably all of them… 😉 )

Can you tell us about the thickness of these plates? Are they the same size as the WE handles when mounted with their aluminium blanks?

And if so, how should they be mounted to be the same thickness? I have some spare blank handles and some 3M tape WE uses to mount the stones to the handles, but this tape adds a little to the overall thickness. Should the Atoma plates + aluminium blanks be mounted with glue only (no added thickness) or with the tape (a little added thickness)?

And can you tell us anything about their durability? If I understand this topic correctly, that’s a reason Clay decided not to carry them.

Eritt Darnell
    Participant

Eamon I’m hoping you are still following this thread and that your health is continuing to improve.

So when you get the time or feel up to it please give us an update on how the atomas are performing. My 140’s should be here tomorrow or Saturday and I have a couple knives I’ve left untouched just so I can test there reprofiling abilities and see how they compare to the 100/200. Like I said previously I’ll post my thoughts after I get to use them.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Hi Guys,
    So I have done a couple dozen knives using the Atomas. I have been trying figure out the best way to describe them? The best description I can come up with is this? In my opinion they are best for stock removal. If you are looking to save time and move on then these are for you. They do not set you up to do “pretty knives”. I do not use my 100/200’s at all anymore. All done with the 140. Then on to the 600 and clean the blade up. They will remove about 90% of the 140 scratches. The 600’s are good for stock removal just depends where you want to start out at? The oddball is the 1200? They do not fit in like you would think in normal progression? In my opinion as I mention earlier they leave a very toothy edge. They are more like what you would think a 700 would be? If you start with the 600 then 1200 to clean it up fast? Then you need to move on to something else?? 800/1000 or 1200/1600 ceramics something?
    I think these stones are made for the guys trying to make money at this. They remove a lot of stock quick and clean, but you have to come back with something to finish the blade.
    Let me know if there are any more questions or concerns I will do my best to answer them.
    Eamon

Eritt Darnell
    Participant

Ok guys been out all night with my 4yr old and her friends for Halloween but the 140 atoma was here waiting when I got home. It’s late so I’ll make this quick.

Threw them on to reprofile an edge to 17°. WOW, let me repeat, WOW, they are unbelievable.. took me no time at all to get the angle down and a burr. I’ll give a more in depth opinion on them after I get to try them some more this weekend. For now I’ll finish this knife and go to bed.

Stay tuned. I’m impressed to say the least though!

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I just wanted to report back and give an update . I have been using my atoma 140’s a lot recently and it seems now that they have gotten to the point that they aren’t removing metal nearly as quickly as at first… Clay may have been right (when he said that they wear quickly).

I will say that it may be because I was using heavy pressure sometimes, which may have caused the diamonds to strip out of the matrix prematurely… So you guys be careful and please update us! I would suggest keeping track of how many knives you reorofile with them.

It is now to the point that my 100 stock stones are cutting better…

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Just wanted to update my experience with the Atomas. I have lost count where I am, with how many knives I’ve done with them? It is fair to say I have done at least two knives every day since purchase. Mine continue to cut very well. Not as abrasive as new but to the point I must be careful not to chip or leave deep scratch marks on softer steel? I do not even use my 100/200 paddles at all now and have not since I bought the Atomas. I did not buy the 400 and kind of wished I did just to try them out? (maybe I still will?) The 600 is good for lighter stock removal but I like to go back with 400 DMT to put a nice “bite-toothie” edge on? Then followed up with a normal progression depending where I want to end up? The 1200 Atoma seems to be the red haired step child for me? I just have not figured where this stone fits in with my style (or lack of)? Leo suggested on the other thread that it was a good soft tomato edge? And I think he is right on the money! but not to many of my friends and customers use a knife exclusive to soft tomatoes?
    If your on a budget and do a lot of stock removal the 140’s are perfect for you! If you do light stock removal and just want to make it easier on your self? then I would say get the 600’s If you want the 1200’s see me for a deal!

Dennis Gocong
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 93

Eamon,

Thanks for the update…..

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Eamon,

Thanks for the update…..

Daug,

Your Welcome!

Eamon

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Eamon

Just looking to see if the past six months have changed your view on any of the atomas.

Mark76
    Participant

Interested, too

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.