Advanced Search

Atoma 140’s… re-profiling made easy!

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives Atoma 140’s… re-profiling made easy!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Mark,
    Please see the link. I hope the pic explains it better then me trying to?

If you need anything else? Just shoot me a PM.
    Eamon

Attachments:
    Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Good thread here. I am interested to learn more. I agree the 50’s are over aggressive with scratches. I would be interested in these. Do you use these in place of the 100/200’s? Assuming you would have started with 100’s? or are they much more aggressive than 100’s?

After doing a few knives with 50’s and 80’s I don’t use them much anymore and do re-profiling with with the 100’s. Granted I have not had any huge re-profile jobs lately.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Jeez, so weird I missed this topic two months ago. The idea of Atoma’s for the WE sounds like two great worlds together becoming even greater.

Josh, I also asked Eamon this, but are the paddles with Atoma’s the same thickness as the stock WE paddles? If they are, they would fit in the “system”, which would be a huge plus.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

Cool, Eamon! Really interested in your experiences.

In addition to the questions asked above, I’d really like to know whether the jump from 600 grit to 1200 grit is not too large.

Like I said though I shoot this much in ammo at least once a week and with that all I have is empty brass. :blink:[/quote]

Eamon, that’s not entirely true about empty brass………….you also get the satisfaction of knowing you still have the 2nd amendment rights to do that in this great country, and the satisfaction of knowing you are honing your skills and building muscle memory that will come as an ” automatic ” response if and when you should ever need them………..Heaven forbid you don’t though.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Mark, they appear to be the same size? I did not put them on the calibers but I did not realize a difference with the angle gauge? I will double check this evening.

Did you check this Eamon? And did you mount these plates yourself on WE paddles (how?) or did you ask Bob to do this for you?

I realize I am pushing a bit. But I must have missed this thread when it first started and the idea of Atoma plates for the WE suddenly makes me very enthusiastic. I am inclined to give Bob (or Ken?) a call right now to order all four of them, but my rational self tells me not to act instinctively 🙂 . So does my girlfriend ;-)[/quote]

I mounted them to the paddles myself… And yes they are the same thickness. I jump straight from the 140’s to the 400’s with no issues whatsoever. They may be very slightly off, but I don’t think it’s much at all… The reason for this is because they are actually mounted to an aluminum plate which makes them the same thickness. Also, the 400 plates are still fairly aggressive so as long as you are close it doesn’t matter.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Josh, I also asked Eamon this, but are the paddles with Atoma’s the same thickness as the stock WE paddles? If they are, they would fit in the “system”, which would be a huge plus.

Sorry Mark I thought I had addressed this? The paddles I received from Bob Nash are WE paddles. With the 140 Atomas on WE paddles going to 400/600 diamonds i can tell no difference. Maybe with the new ones coming in there could be a difference but I won’t know till Friday afternoon? I apologize for any confusion I caused. Like I have said many times here my written skills seem to suck!
    Eamon

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Yeah Eamon, you had addressed this. (English is not my first language.) Really looking forward to your observations Friday afternoon.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Yeah Eamon, you had addressed this. (English is not my first language.) Really looking forward to your observations Friday afternoon.

Mark I think you do better then me! and it is my first language :S

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Okay guys the stones are in. I have to do a lot more work with them to see how they really are, but here is some down and dirty for the folks waiting?
    First thing I did out of the box was to set them in the WE. Using a cheap cheap knife I started a scrubbing motion with the 600’s. Did this for about 20 minutes just trying to knock of the rough stuff?
    I then repeated the drill with the 1200’s.
    My main concern was were the going to be aggressive enough to go from 140> 600> 1200? So I set up the 140 at 20°. Using a fake mora I proceeded to re profile the blade. (Note this the ninth knife I’ve done with them and it feels like the are breaking in?) It feels like it went really fast? Seems like a third of the normal time?
    On to the 600’s. these are cutting very aggressive! Using a alternating stroke all scratch marks of the 140’s are gone in about 30 stokes. I repeated this same drill with the 1200’s.
    I then took the knife out of the WE and cut some copy paper. No problem just a little ruff? I decided to srop using my bench strop green compound and did that till it felt smooth? Some where around 10-16 strokes?
    The test, I cut copy paper and easily push cut it! Next I went and got some newspaper, Easy! Folded the newspaper in a tube shape and it sliced NO PROBLEM!
    I repeated this exercise on anther cheap mora ( BudK $1.95 each I bunches of them for screwing around) and on 600 and 1200 it was a little smoother.
    So my main worry was will they work together for a Farmers market job? Would going from 140> 600> 1200 be to much of a jump? I am completely satisfied that they are going to work GREAT!
    Today I will do some time test and see where they fit in against the We diamonds and see how they rate?
    I’m not feeling well so it will be sometime today? Fire off any questions or concerns and I will start working them down as I feel better.

Eritt Darnell
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 12

I’m very interested in this thread. I got a pro pack l with upgraded arms only just a few days ago. I am more than impressed and pleased with my results. EVERY knife in my house is now shaving sharp.

My only complaint is that when having to reprofile an edge to a lower angle I wanted or because the knife didn’t have an even bevel from the factory it sometimes took FOREVER to remove the metal with the 100 grit. On a few knives I actually opted for less of an angle than I ideally wanted because I didn’t want to spend all night reprofiling.

I had intended to get the we 50/80 stones but after some research I was kinda leaning towards not getting them because they can scratch so deeply and actually chip out the edge if you aren’t careful.

Sooo, if you guys think and recommend the atoma 140 for reprofiling and to possibly replace the we 100/200 then I will probably order some. Would just like your thoughts before I pull the trigger and order them and spend another $125 (stone+blank paddle). The wife isn’t exactly happy I’ve spent so much on a sharpener already (although I think it was money very well spent).

Anyways I look forward to your advice and responses.

Eritt Darnell
    Participant

After reading the entire thread again I guess all the questions I had were basically answered. I guess what I’m really looking for is a push from others telling me to go ahead and order them lol.

Dennis Gocong
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 93

Hey, Grift

Here’s your push, Go gett’um…..they’ll save you at least two steps (hence time) and the reprofile can be achieved in 1/3 the time. The time you save you can spend with the wife and enjoy the knives. So what’s not to like, since it looks like a win-win all around.

Have fun with it though!

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Hey, Grift

Here’s your push, Go gett’um…..they’ll save you at least two steps (hence time) and the reprofile can be achieved in 1/3 the time. The time you save you can spend with the wife and enjoy the knives. So what’s not to like, since it looks like a win-win all around.

Have fun with it though!

Big +1 You will be amazed!

Also so having had a little time to play with the 600/1200 paddle? The 1200 is very aggresive. I’m not sure how to describe it though? It is different then anything in the line up? Sometime ago Clay spoke about getting a DMT 1200 and said it was different. This is like that comment. It can be made nice with green compund or cleaned up with the 1200/1600 ceramics or both? I think most of us would be happy with that edge? By all means something that you can sell. I have yet to time them but should get that today? I am sorry I have not got to this sooner but my health just got in the way last week.

Eritt Darnell
    Participant

DAUG wrote:

Big +1 You will be amazed!

Also so having had a little time to play with the 600/1200 paddle? The 1200 is very aggresive. I’m not sure how to describe it though? It is different then anything in the line up? Sometime ago Clay spoke about getting a DMT 1200 and said it was different. This is like that comment. It can be made nice with green compund or cleaned up with the 1200/1600 ceramics or both? I think most of us would be happy with that edge? By all means something that you can sell. I have yet to time them but should get that today? I am sorry I have not got to this sooner but my health just got in the way last week.

I hope your health has improved and you are doing better….

I went ahead and ordered the atoma 140 stones today from Bob at Oldawan. He is a great guy and was full of useful information. We talked a good while and he let me pick his brain for all kinds of useful tips. I highly recommend giving him a call for anything you might need or if your on the fence on whether to get something. He can steer you in the right direction. I also got a better magnification loupe and a little microscope from him. He got it all shipped out today so I’ll hopefully have it in time to try out some this weekend. Now to try and find some non razor sharp blades, lol.

Once I have a chance to use the new stones I’ll post an update on my experience and thoughts about them……..

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Grift, Thank you so much! You know the old story? Some good days some not so good?
    You have found the best resource I know and that is Bob at Oldawan. He will never rush you and will stay on till I understand or make up my mind. I can’t figure how? But nobody can ship as fast as him. It like the packages have wings on them?
    I think you are going to love your new stones! :woohoo:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.