Advanced Search

Asymmetrical Bevels. New Owner

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Agreed! Looking good! So it appears by looking at it, the jaws and jaw angles are adjustable via the bottom 2 screws? So in effect, once clamped you could loosen one side a little while tightening the other side and adjust the centering of the blade to the center of the vise?

Love the think and tinker designs!

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Exactly right Eric,

Im embarrassed to show it before its finished but the truth is it works so good as is, and sanding down the metal is such a chore I just haven’t gotten around to finishing it. I suppose now that the Frankenvice has been spotted publicly I renew my effort to finish the project.

In the interest of full discloser and to help anyone else thinking about doing this, the bottom screws are offset from the vertical center line a bit(side by side) so to speak. I think this was a minor mistake. As I really clamp it down the pressure cause a slight twisting in the blade itself. If I was doing it again, which I probably will at some point, I would put the bottom screws in an over/under position, with the offhand side higher up with less leverage mainly to hold the blade in position, and do my final torque down with the lower screw on my left side.

If the inner support is tapered down just a bit towards the top, the vice clamps will naturally follow the curve in as its tightened.
    Also the vice can be adjusted higher vertically for the super low angle attempts as needed by loosening the bottom vice and raising it up, I cut a slit down the middle to miss the screws on bottom vice.

Project took me 3hrs to mock up, cut & drill. Most of that time was holding on to the poor little jig saw. If a guy had proper tools(like a band saw), you could bang this out in under an hour easy. Drill 7 holes and tap 3 of them and done. B)

Gerald Welsby
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 34

Cliff,
    brilliant! And so simple. I love the name “Frankenvice”. I hope it sticks. Two points:
    1. The vertical slot gives us theoretically infinite variation of included angle of the blade, no?
    2. A foreshortened version would eliminate the problems with the current vice.

Well done!

Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

I have found that if the total difference between the angles on each side, regardless if the grind is FFG or not, is less than 1 degree, I don’t mess with correction because if you can tell the difference between each side in terms of the bevel width at that low of a difference from 5 inches away, you are a better man than me.

If it is more than 1 degree, then I just move out/in one side or the other to get it within that degree.

If you have a problem with a FFG moving during sharpening, then you may not be tightening the vice correctly. Josh at REK has instructed well on how to tighten the vice, along with many others here, to prevent bending the jaws.

Just my two cents….YMMV

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.