Advanced Search

Are you a steel nerd?

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Steel Are you a steel nerd?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I was looking through the articles at the excellent blog Knife Steel Nerds (https://knifesteelnerds.com) and I found this quiz. I thought it would be fun to post here and see what kinds of scores y’all are getting.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/04/03/are-you-a-steel-nerd-quiz/

I got 10/11 without using the Google.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

I only got 6/11, so guess I’m not a steel nerd!  Cool quiz though fun to take.

Alan

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NotSharpEnuff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 120

Organic,

I also took the quiz cold without Google.  Yes, I am a steel nerd and proud of it!  Science and Chemistry have always been more than interesting to me. Since my days in high school electronics and chemistry classes, I rely on the principles of the scientific method. Anecdotal evidence is good but I do like to find the science behind the result.

Ed K.

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Wow, 11/11! You are indeed a steel nerd.

Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

I’m not a steel nerd, not yet! I scored 8/11 without the Google helping hand. Thank you Organic, that was not only fun, but educational too.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’m a nerd (10/11) but I guessed at least four of them.  I owe thanks to our US Navy, of 1963, where they actually taught us how to take a multiple choice test.  The reason was that promotions in the Navy were/are all based on fleet-wide testing, twice per year.  Unfortunately,  there are individuals who, for one reason or another, simply do not do well on tests.  To even the playing field, they taught us a number of tricks to make everybody feel comfortable under the time-constrained testing.  They even taught us how to guess.

I attribute at least part of my passing the Professional Engineer’s exam, without having attended college, to the methods I was taught.  I’ve  also had a 10 point increase in my IQ score, testing before and after this training.

BTW, the one question I got wrong was the one on air-hardening steel.  And that’s the one steel I use for making knives.  Aaarrrgh!

5 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.