Advanced Search

Accidentally put recurve in blade

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Daymon Haight
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 11

I’ve had my Wicked Edge PPI for awhile now and feel like I know how to use it really well. I’m able to produce very sharp edges with it and have even purchased the 1200/1600 ceramic stones to go along with it. I recently acquired a BFC edition Skyline and proceeded to re-profile the knife to 15° per side and added a 20° inclusive microbevel. After pulling the knife out of the clamp and inspecting the edge, I was very surprised to see that I had put a little recurve into the blade. I have absolutely no idea how this happened. I didn’t keep the 100 grit stone in one spot and just grind metal away, I moved up and down, along the entire length of the blade. I used Sharpie marker to confirm where I was hitting the blade and stopped every so often to check my progress. I noticed this recurve while checking the slightly mirrored edge I had achieved. Does anybody have an idea as to why this might have happened? Did I do anything wrong? I’m worried now that the only way to get this out is to send the knife to someone to get it regrinded.

Here’s a picture:

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Its really not a big deal. Its probably sharp as hell. Maybe there was already a small recurve to it. Really. .its a nice edge so dont worry about it. More then likely it was the initial profiling

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I agree with DanMaloon… Don’t worry about it. I don’t think it hurts the value or the functionality of the knife. I have a hard time believing that you went that far past the original profile if you were watching the sharpie marking. It’s possible that there already was a little bit of recurve in the edge from the factory or a section of thin primary bevel along the dip. I looked at a web site where a fellow has a collection of them and there’s some variability in the bevels near the heel – simply because there’s variability in the thickness of the grind at that point.

There’s a picture of a sister of your knife at http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2013/07/the-united-colors-of-the-kershaw-skyline/ Serial number 399. Looks like you have #325? out of 500.

If it was mine, I simply spend a little more time stoning near the heel with each re-sharpening. If you use the knife enough, eventually you’ll straighten it out.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Not a problem on a folder but definitely not desirable on a chefs knife – the danger area on all knives is next to the handle this is probable the area where you first contact the blade with the stones it may be better to start at the point and I would hazard a guess that you are using too much pressure.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

That’s a nice looking edge. I agree that you shouldn’t worry about that slight curve. It looks from the photos that tcmeyer posted that some of those blades have a slight curve too. If you don’t like it, you can just put extra emphasis on the heel of the blade each time you sharpen like tcmeyer recommended and it will eventually come out.

-Clay

Daymon Haight
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 11

Thank you everyone for the insight! Now that I think about it, I guess It’s really not that big of a deal. I was just shocked to see the bevels like that afterwards. I’ll fix it over time.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.