Advanced Search

3 Micron Diamonds

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ravenbrook
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 11

Recently my brother in law gave me some 5,000 grit sand paper. I was going to buy some blanks and mount the sandpaper to them. I noticed the 3K diamond stone that has the other side blank. According to the Grit Comparison Chart the 3K stones should be about 3 microns. Where in my progression would I use the 3K diamonds and 5K sandpaper? I have the regular stones plus the 800/1000, 1200/1600 ceramics, 14/10(balsa), 3.5/5 (Leather), 1/0.5(balsa) micron strops.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

It would probably be diamonds (all), then the sandpaper, then ceramics, then strop.  The ceramics and sandpaper might be interchangeable, depending on how worn the paper is.

Not sure what you mean by mounting the sandpaper,,, it will wear, so you don’t want to permanently mount it to a blank.

You can try the sandpaper with what you have now… I’ve had good luck using removable double side tape and stick it to a fine diamond stone, ceramic, or even leather.  It peels right off and doesn’t seem to leave a residue.  (It usually just stays stuck to the sandpaper).

Attachments:
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

According to a different grit comparison chart (AdvancedAbrasives.com), the 14/10 paste is practically the same as the 1200/1600 ceramics.  The 3 micron diamond stone is about 8,000 grit, so pairing it with your 5K paper would make them the equivalent of the 5/3.5 micron paste on leather.  If you buy a set, you can try them both and see which you like best.  Otherwise, I’d have to say that there’s not much to gain, except I prefer a hard platen to leather.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

My experience is that the 3 micron diamond stones are probably a bit more coarse than 3 microns. So like Curtis I’d use all of the diamond stones before the sandpaper/strops.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Ravenbrook
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 11

I’ll have to get some of that doublesided tape.

And while the 14/10 paste may be just about what the ceramics are,  I’ve noticed a nice improvement in “my” work since I started using them.

One thing I do love about the Wicked Edge is that there is no absolute right way to get to your end result.  Always new ways to try. In this case technique is more important than what you’re using.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.