Advanced Search

2014 Blade Show – Atlanta – Who’s going?

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Shows 2014 Blade Show – Atlanta – Who’s going?

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I got to meet kevin cashen!! (for those of you who don’t know he is one of the leading voices on proper heat treatment). I feel like I only have a surface knowledge of what he knows… He is waaay ahead of most makers out there! Most people focus on “what hardness is the knife at” instead of “how are the carbides and grain structure formed” which is way more important it seems. I have a ton to learn though that’s for sure!

I also got a name of a local knife maker which is cool! Hopefully he will help me out in my knife making efforts!

I hope to set up a table at blade in a year or two, so this is a great learning experience for me!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hahah. Fantastic Josh! Have a great time there! And say hello to Clay if you meet him again!

And if you have some more time, your observations are really appreciated. What you write about function follows form also struck me when I looked at the entries for Blade’s Peoples choice. Haven’t selected one (but that’s because I haven’t seen all of them yet).

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Well I’m here at blade! After waking around all day and meeting makers I am struck by a few things…

1. Most makers don’t know how to sharpen
    2. Most knives are designed “function follows form” instead of the other way around like knives should be designed. There’s a lot of “pretty” knives here, but few real users that would have their efficiencies maximized by blade geometry and handle geometry! Very interesting for sure.

Love hearing about your experience there at BLADE…… glad you got to meet Clay and all. Looking forward to that myself one of these days….

I’m glad you mentioned these points…..

I got my WE just under a year ago. (My world has changed a lot in that year.) I went to the Oregon Knife Show completely intimidated by the makers & purveyors.

I gained a lot of confidence at that show. (Thanks, again, especially to Bob Nash & Emily.)

A few weeks later I went to the knife show in Seattle with 50+ of the makers you’ll likely see at BLADE and still felt intimidated… Until after I started taking a chance and revealing that I sharpened.

There really was a surprisingly small percentage of the makers that I felt had any grasp of sharp.

And the whole form/function dynamic is a true core issue in overall design integrity of the product.

And I’m so looking forward to watching you travel the path in the next couple of years to your own table at BLADE.

Thanks and Keep the reports coming!!! Excellent.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

And here they are… the winners.

Factory knives:

Custom knives:

(from A.G. Russell’s Facebook page)

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh
    Participant

I got hands on on the Rat Worx Helix (pictured below). I didn’t like the normal chain operated one that much, even though it is a cool design there’s not much special about it since I don’t like assisted opening knives anyway. The Helix was really nice though. It is non assisted, and doesn’t need to be because it uses a “permanently lubricated ball bearing system” and is extremely smooth! I also like the fact that the liner lock has a built in insert that you can remove and replace if it ever gets worn.

Clifford Begnaud
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 12

Saw this at Blade Show, I wonder how we can sharpen it on the WEPS?
    😉

Attachments:
    Josh
    Participant

Yeah I saw this… Cool design! I think bullpups are the wave of the future myself

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I saw my first bullpup in a gun magazine back in about 1958 – 1960. Everybody thought they were the wave of the future then, too. Maybe now with the advances in tactical weapons and accessories it’ll actually happen. Personally, I think there’s going to be a lot happening in long-arm suppressors. The $200 license isn’t so daunting now with the current prices of firearms.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.