Advanced Search

15″ Guide Rods

Recent Forums Main Forum 15″ Guide Rods

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Joe
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

Has anyone used the 15″ guide rods yet? I looked at the website and it says nothing on compatibility with the different sharpeners.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

All the different length guide rods are compatible with all the W.E. models, (with the exception of maybe the WEGO model).  The threads and rod diameters on all the W.E. guide rods are the same size and compatible with all W.E. paddles.  I have bought and make use of all the longer guide rod sets W.E. offers.

The longer rods are designed for users employing accessories, or modifications like the Low Angle Adapter, a Tormek small knife holder, or a riser block and when sharpening large, long and/or tall bladed knives.

The longer guide rods take some getting use to.  They can be gangly and are easy to knock the long rod ends together when the rods are swinging close together centered over the vise if you aren’t using them carefully.  Especially working with low bevel angle settings, where the rods are positioned close-in to the clamped knife.  You’ll get use to them and the exaggerated rotating motion, around the ball rod ends, you’ll need to use to keep the long rod ends separated.

Because of their length, for me, I find it’s really helpful to use upper and lower stone stops* when working with the longer guide rods.  This helps keep the sharpening stones centered across the knife edge to help prevent stray stone scratches to the knife sides and edge damage from pulling the stone down onto the sharpened knife edge when you get going fast while sharpening in a rhythm.

*Stone Stops: These keep your stone from dropping below the bevel or coming off the top of the bevel.  https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/stone-stops-with-rebound-caps-and-nylon-screw/

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.