Advanced Search

Cleaning blade between Chosera stones??

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    uilleann
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 16

What do you chosera stone users use to clean the knife edge between stones.  I have been using the fuzy microfiber cloths.  But the knife is so sharp at this point that I end up leaving bits of fuzy microfiber everywhere.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

A “felt block” run down the bevel helps pretty well all though it may leave some of it’s own fuzzy debris. It blows off easily. I too use a folded thick microfiber towel. The thickness protects me from getting cut.  I do the last wipe trailing edge and this limits some of the lint because it has nothing to grab and just stays on the towel.

I use Shapton Wetstones, not Choseras, should be the same issue; to remove any dried stone residue or stone slurry mud I clean that off with a wet towel or wet paper towel.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I use paper towels with alohol (although usually water is enough).

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

I use a clean tissue, and wipe in an up and away motion from the blade. You could actually add horizontal scratches to the bevel on coarser grits otherwise. If the swarf/paste gets dry, adding a little water to the tissue usually takes care of things. I generally use a new tissue per each grit, or use a clean area each swipe to avoid cross contamination. The fibers getting caught just means you have a very well established burr, and on higher grits the burr  shouldn’t really cause that. You can also do a series of very light, alternating strokes to remove the burr buildup before cleaning it.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.