Advanced Search

Wicked edge 100/200 stones

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jorge Davila
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 0

Hay guys I have had my Wicked Edge for a few months now. I have noticed it takes me a very long time to reprofile a knife. An example of this is a Endura in VG10 it was at about 40 degrees inclusive when I got it. To take it to 35 degrees inclusive it took me 2 hrs with the 100 grit diamond stones. I got these stones used and it has taken me about the same about of time with other blade steals.

Is this normal or are the 100/200 stones worn and I should get new ones ? I have only done about 15 knives since the first knife it has seemed to take a long time to reprofile like I said the stones where used when I got them so they might need to be replaced.

Any help with this would be great.

Thanks

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 109

Hi, new stones are faster, but coarser. But they should last far more then 15 knives. Clean them with detergent and old toothbrush. It should help, if not, you probably use too much pressure.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

One thing to note that a lower bevel increases the bevel width VG10 for instance is very tough steel then a wide bevel can take considerable time to grind to the edge . There are two factors firstly as mentioned it is possible that the stones are clogged up and the wide bevel will take a lot longer to reach the edge.
    Then as LukasPop says possible too much pressure has been used the stones should do most of the work speed rather than pressure is the way to go think of a belt sander very little pressure is required to remove metal .
    Someone also mentioned that the diamonds are fixed to the stones with nickel and if there has been too much pressure used then it may be possible that the stones have been ripped off the plate.
    I would say that two hours to change the bevel is not that unreasonable a time to take (especially with VG10) this is why many people use belt sanders for repairs and thinning blades .

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

That definitely seems on the long side for an endura… I would try cleaning them and then report back. But the stones may be worn too much and are therefore taking way too long. Next time I get an endura in vg10 I’ll time myself reprofiling it and lowering the angle.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.