Advanced Search

Why not 1 stone

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Bill Sutherland
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 31

Please excuse my dumb question but I’m wondering why two stones are needed to sharpen on the WE. Since there are more stones becoming available and the expense is doubled by having to have two stones, why not just use one and purchase additional grits with the money you’d spend on two? Since I’m so new at all this please excuse the question but I’m just not seeing the need for two.:whistle:

Nicholas Angeja
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 51

having two stones makes sharpening quicker, makes it easier to keep an edge apexed, and when you get up to the whetstones it makes lapping and creating a slurry a lot easier. The biggest benefit of the wicked edge is being able to sharpen both sides of the blade at “once” which makes it unique from other sharpeners:)

p.s there are never stupid questions, there are only stupid answers

Bill Sutherland
    Participant

OK, I’ll buy that it is quicker and easier but not a “necessity”. If you wanted to have more stones you COULD go 1 stone at a time and not have to use 2?

Nicholas Angeja
    Participant
    • Replies: 51

Clay does a pretty great job explaining it here

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

It would be like taking 1 pedal off a bicycle, you COULD still ride it, but it wouldn’t be very efficient. :side:

Using two stones is one of the principal concepts of the Wicked Edge… it’s what makes it a great sharpener. Not to mention the other benefits Nicholas mentioned. You would also double the use on one stone, so replacement time would be sooner, on some stones anyway.

OTOH, I do see your point. On some of the very fine stones, especially the aftermarket waterstones, you probably could get away with one stone. I’m not sure WE or any of the aftermarket sellers would want to sell them that way, so you’d probably have to make arrangements with someone to split an order? I wouldn’t bother with the majority of the stones though… don’t think the savings would outweigh the loss of benefits you get from using two.

Bill Sutherland
    Participant

HHMMMM….I guess maybe since I’m new I don’t have enough experience, but I’m not convinced that other than saving a little time, there’s really any distint advantage in having two. Slurry will be developed whether you’re using one or two so I don’t see any advantage there. I think what makes it such a great sharpener is the stability and being able to sharpen two sides without having to move the knife. I do see one disadvantage for two, other than the expense, is that the two seperate stones are very unlikely to be at the same size (ie thickness) so the angle on one side with stone A may not be the same as the angle with stone B. Especially after a lot of use, stone A will wear more or less than stone B. Unless you take out your micrometer and make sure they’re the same, you’re going to be using a different angle for each side. I guess the only way to make sure is to use the angle cube to check your angle and forget relying on the angle marks on the arms.
    This probably isn’t a big deal and it really isn’t going to alter how anyone uses the machine but in my research I often heard that one negative of the machine was that you had to purchase two stones so the initial outlay was expensive. Long term you’d have more stone life because you’re using two and that would be a serious consideration for someone sharpening often.
    One way or the other there’s no doubt it’s one of the very best sharpeners.

Daniel Saucier
    Participant
    • Replies: 30

Unless you are sharpening many many knives with uneven bevels, two stones should wear quite evenly. The angle cube is invaluable in my opinion. No matter whether you are using 1 or 2 stones, the angle can be verified. I use in between each progression of stones, and find I make minor adjustments about 25-50% of the time. No question your stone is hitting at the proper angle each stroke. Overboard maybe, just my .02 on that. Also, it’s nice to go from one side of the blade to the other without having to reposition the stone each time. Speeds sharpenings up a bit. I spend enough time on them already, although I do enjoy it.

Sauce

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

HHMMMM….I guess maybe since I’m new I don’t have enough experience, but I’m not convinced that other than saving a little time, there’s really any distint advantage in having two…

Do what I would do… test your theory. Pack 1/2 your stones away and try it. I’d be interested in seeing what you find out. I think you’d then see what the advantages are, but you never know until you try. In the end, like most things in sharpening… there’s no right or wrong, just find what works for you to get that…. wicked edge!. 🙂

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Interesting question. Another factor that gets overlooked is that, while you can just move one stone from side to side, you most likely won’t do it every single stroke. When you start doing multiple strokes per side, you immediately begin to form a burr.

-Clay

Bill Sutherland
    Participant

“When you start doing multiple strokes per side, you immediately begin to form a burr
    Is it better to do it that way or by alternating strokes per side? For some reason I tend to be not alternate the strokes but as I said before, I’m just beginning.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Forming a burr is great when you’re first creating the bevels on the knife because it’s a very clear proof that you have adequately apexed the edge i.e. you’ve ensured that both bevels meet at a point. Once you’ve verified that the edge has been apexed, you should try to avoid creating a burr going forward for a variety of reasons. By alternating strokes after your initial bevel formation and apexing of the edge, you can continue to polish the bevels and refine the edge without risking constant burr formation. As soon as you switch to multiple strokes per side, you go back to creating a burr. If you’re highly disciplined, you can do one stroke on one side, take the stone off and put it on the other side, do a stroke and repeat, but it can be very tedious.

-Clay

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

“When you start doing multiple strokes per side, you immediately begin to form a burr
    Is it better to do it that way or by alternating strokes per side? For some reason I tend to be not alternate the strokes but as I said before, I’m just beginning.

I only use multiple strokes per side when reprofiling. Even then I make the attempt at keeping the number of strokes, or with scubbing, the amount of time equal for both sides. Inspecting what you are doing rularly is also a must at this stage. If this is not done, there is a good chance of ending up with asymetric bevels.

After burr formation, using alternating strokes with equal pressure is the only way to go. This will get you where you want to be in the least amount of strokes and you will not always be chasing a burr.

In other words, if:

“I tend to be not alternate the strokes”

You are not using the system to its best advantage. I would suggest that you try to be more disciplined. Before long it will be second nature.

There are many ways to end up with a sharp knife on the WEPS. If you want to know the most efficient and effective, just watch some of Clay’s videos. As the inventor, and having arguably , more time on the machine than most, if not all, others it sure seems to me that his method would be a good place to start. Not only does Clay use the system a lot, he clearly closely analyzes the results that he is getting!! Particularly when you are new to the system, and nowitstanding some of the videos out there showing some questionable techniques, give his technique a try. You will not go wrong.

Phil

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.