Advanced Search

Which WEPS Base?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Doug Williams
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 43

I’m just wondering which mounting option to choose for the WEPS. Are they all the same size or what? How much do they weigh? No weights are given, but I assume that the Paperstone is the lightest and the granite is the heaviest. Do we have weights for them all?

No size is listed for the standard Paperstone base. So what size is it? The Quartz base is listed as 10”X12” and all the granite bases are listed as 12”x12”. Is this correct? Of course, all the granite bases are out of stock anyway; but it seems to me that as far as stability is concerned, larger would be better because the feet would be further apart. Of course heavier is better also, but I don’t want anything too cumbersome.

The Paperstone base seems to work just fine in the videos. What size is it and how much does it weigh? Maybe Paperstone is the way to go? I suppose that Clay is the only person to have tried them all?

Bob Hardison
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

My paperstone is 11 3/4″ x 11 3/4″. Don’t know the weight but it’s very stable for me. The rubber feet keep it in place.
    Regards,
    Bob Hardison

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’m just wondering which mounting option to choose for the WEPS. Are they all the same size or what? How much do they weigh? No weights are given, but I assume that the Paperstone is the lightest and the granite is the heaviest. Do we have weights for them all?

No size is listed for the standard Paperstone base. So what size is it? The Quartz base is listed as 10”X12” and all the granite bases are listed as 12”x12”. Is this correct? Of course, all the granite bases are out of stock anyway; but it seems to me that as far as stability is concerned, larger would be better because the feet would be further apart. Of course heavier is better also, but I don’t want anything too cumbersome.

The Paperstone base seems to work just fine in the videos. What size is it and how much does it weigh? Maybe Paperstone is the way to go? I suppose that Clay is the only person to have tried them all?

Bob is right, the Paperstone is very stable. It weighs about 7 lbs and is perfect for being able to move it around. The stone bases are gorgeous but they are more cumbersome. I like sharpening with the unit in my lap sometimes and I don’t feel buried under the Paperstone.

-Clay

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

I always work at my kitchen table and I find the granite base is like heaven when it comes to holding the whole unit in a very stable way. It is very heavy and one certainly wouldn’t want to hold it on one’s lap to work!! :woohoo:
    I had an old butcher block of wood before I got the granite base and it was not good…it moved around too much during the process. This one stays put period. And it is pretty too boot.

Leo

Doug Williams
    Participant

I think that sums it up, Leo. The paperstone base is nice for portability and working on your lap, but the granite base is best if you want something really solid and immovable on your work table.

The only other consideration is waterproofing. I wonder if the granite base might be best for using waterstones. Just how waterproof is the paperstone? Can you rinse it in the sink?

Doug

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Paperstone is made from a mix of paper and phenolic resins compressed to make a dense and very strong product and has been used to make countertops, window and door sills and a host of other products. I suspect it is much like Micarta in its ability to resist wear and water too. Even using Chosera waterstones, the amount of water splashed around is not untoward. I believe the Paper Stone bases can be rinsed safely.Probably Tom from Jende Industries can confirm this for us.

Leo

Doug Williams
    Participant

Thanks Leo!! I’m sure that you are correct. I was trying to rationalize a granite base with a fancy border moat thing like I saw in some of the videos. I am easily drawn toward pretty things like that. But then I have to remember the KISS principle. If the paperstone base is waterproof, it really has no downsides. It is heavy enough and it works just great for Clay and many other experts. I’m sure that the pretty granite would please me at first, but the extra weight would probably bother me in the long term.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I love the Paperstone – it’s a countertop material (as others have noted) and also used for shower enclosures etc… I wash mine in the sink all the time.

-Clay

Doug Williams
    Participant

Well then! If it is used as a shower enclosure, I reckon that it is waterproof enough for me to rinse it in the sink. :whistle:

Dan
    Participant
    • Replies: 84

I actually did some research on the stuff before I ordered, to see if I wanted to upgrade. The Paperstone looks to be darn near perfect as a material for it, though, so I left it well enough alone. The lower weight will be a bonus when I pack it into my bike’s tailbag to take on the road. 🙂

Never Dull
    Participant
    • Replies: 5

I use the paperstone base, wash it occasionally and its heavy enough to be stable. My case of stones prolly weighs more than the base!!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

I believe the granite base is 25 pounds. When I received mine the shipping weight was marked as 30 pounds…minus approx. 5 pounds the heavy duty box and the protection inside…I put the weight at 25 pounds.
    For those considering going the wet stone route, you might be able to twist Tom from Jende Industries to get a marble base with a carved basin for catching the water and slurry that comes along with using the Chosera stones.;) But the cost shipped from Taiwan might be pricey. Still wouldn’t it be neat(in more ways than one) to have a green marble base with the carved out basin. Can people order one Tom?

Leo

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

I mentioned the green marble base specially designed for using wet stones like the Choseras in the previous post. Here is a shot taken by Clay of the equipment used in an experiment he is doing comparing sharpening using Choseras vs Shaptons with 4 of my knives. This shot gives you an idea what a great base it is. Beauties! Left hand corner of the shot.
    Those 4 knives of mine are: an ESEE-4, ESEE-6 (both with blades of 1095 steel) and a Fallkniven TK-2 and Fallkniven PXL folder( both have blades of 3G Powder Steel).
    For your interest!

Leo

Ted
    Participant
    • Replies: 9

I had an old butcher block of wood before I got the granite base and it was not good…it moved around too much during the process.

I used an old rock maple 12×12 cutting board for my base. It is about 2″ thick. I glued some adhesive rubber pads to the bottom to provide stability – and it works very nicely, even though it is relatively light weight.

Gotta love Paperstone, though. It is made from phenolic resin, and is basically paper micarta – just without the Micarta trademark. There is another company named Richlite which makes a similar product. I’ve used 0.25″ samples to make knife scales from – and Buck is using it for scales now too. Good stuff.

TedP

Glen
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 12

I’m very happy with my Paperstone.

Glen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.