Advanced Search

What profile edge does this system create?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies What profile edge does this system create?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    doc
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 5

I was just wondering what the natural sharpening profile does this system put on the edge?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I was just wondering what the natural sharpening profile does this system put on the edge?

Primarily a flat edge or ‘V’ grind (if that’s what you’re asking).  You can do others… depending on your needs.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Hey Doc,

Could you expand on your definition of profile? Do you mean shape, angles, contour? You can do just about any type of knife you want I’ve found.

doc
    doc
    Participant

Just the edge, sharpening as in directions.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Which system are you referring to?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

doc
    doc
    Participant

Which system are you referring to?

The wicked edge system. I must be missing something??? If you do the sharpie thing and find the edge then continue to sharpen, what edge did you put on the knife? I am not talking doing extra steps such as micro bevels and such, are you just sharpening whatever edge was on the knife or are you changing it?

doc
    Participant

Primarily a flat edge or ‘V’ grind (if that’s what you’re asking). You can do others… depending on your needs.

I believe this is the answer?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

The wicked edge system. I must be missing something??? If you do the sharpie thing and find the edge then continue to sharpen, what edge did you put on the knife? I am not talking doing extra steps such as micro bevels and such, are you just sharpening whatever edge was on the knife or are you changing it?

Yea… you’re putting a ‘V’ grind on the knife… so if that’s what the knife had before, and you match the angle, then you’re not changing it.  BUT… most knives don’t come with perfect ‘V’ ground edges… so there’s almost always a bit of change.  

doc
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Yes, the Wicked Edge will put a perfect V profile on the bevel. If you desire, it is possible to use the Wicked Edge to create convex bevels as well, but without extra steps, you will get a V profile.

doc
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.