Advanced Search

What are you sharpening today?

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat What are you sharpening today?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

OK. that’s good to know, I can get silly but will try to throttle back.

While Knife sharpening can be serious business… a Knife sharpening forum can have some fun infused into the seriousness of it all…

cavediver
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 6

Another one of my Benchmade’s I just finished up.

1917916_10208308071570080_2796089819024935479_n
    10392184_10208308071730084_1067096039277830209_n-1

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    cavediver
    Participant

1931362_10208311716181193_3186616374697032533_n
    581898_10208311715941187_4470743238930406608_n

Another one.

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Great looking edges, thanks for posting!

*You might notice that they are now inline with the post. I just found a neat trick as a moderator – I can edit the post and there is a link to “insert into content” next to the image attachment link. I’m not sure if everyone can do that, would love to know what you’re seeing now when you go to add an image.

-Clay

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Nice works, the bevels look real even too.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Things are going well, Cavediver! 😀

I’ll test it as well in the testing topic, Clay.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Rick
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 54

Cavediver, Nice! like the Ultratech.

cavediver
    Participant

Thanks.

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

We’ve been traveling since Thanksgiving.  Takes time and energy to sharpen and, additionally, to write about it!!

And, I’m not writing about using the Wicked Edge so this is “off topic” but I’m writing about it in “What Am I Sharpening Today” so it’s on topic.

I wrote last year about sharpening pocket and kitchen knives for friends and family who don’t really get “it”.  They don’t know the difference between 15 degrees and 30 degrees.  And that sound isn’t fingernails on blackboards, it’s knives being used on glass cutting boards and ceramic plates.  “Gib, why do my knives get dull so fast!?!”

My solution isn’t to carry my Wicked Edge with me everywhere on these family visits and sojourns.  Sorry, the quality level of the knives of which I speak simply doesn’t demand being sharpened on the Wicked Edge – unless it’s just for practice.  (And I wouldn’t put a really good knife in any of the households.)

I have given several households a Smith’s pull-through sharpener with multiple angles – about $25 (http://www.smithsproducts.com/product/adjustable-angle-pull-thru-knife-sharpener/ ).   And then, I just sharpen everything at 15 or 20 degrees.  I tell them when I’m not around, to give the knife a pull or two through the Fine after every couple of uses.

When I am around, I do any “re-profiling” or edge work.  I usually carry the WorkSharp Field Sharpener  (http://www.worksharptools.com/guided-field-sharpener.html ) and really like working with it.  It’s good at what it does.

But, also, here at my mother-in-law’s I’ve gathered through Christmas and Birthday presents a WorkSharp Ken Onion with the Blade grinding attachment.  I can do a little hand work and power belt work.  A nice little set-up but I still miss having my WE close at hand.

Soooooo, anyway, a neighbor here is a knife guy and we’ve talked sharpening.  Knowing I sharpen he brought me something he said he couldn’t do anything with – his camp kukri
  He told me someone else (of course) had taken a Dremel to it.

Kirkri-One

Kirkri-Two

It was pretty beat up.  I did a little clean-up on the “body” of the blade and the handle.  I really wanted to do more on the “big” bevel but the damage was just too deep from the Dremel, so I cleaned it up a bit.

The main edge is 30 degrees per side.

Kirkri-Three

I loved the look in his eyes when I chopped a 1″x 1″ garden stake in half and then sliced typing paper!!

He said the piece had never been this sharp.

For Now,

Gib Curry

Writer

425-478-9970

φ

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Ί

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

That’s a nice job, Gib! I had to laugh when you wrote about the Dremel. And I was wondering: blade grinding with the Ken Onion Worksharp, does that actually work?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

That’s a nice job, Gib! I had to laugh when you wrote about the Dremel. And I was wondering: blade grinding with the Ken Onion Worksharp, does that actually work?

For a small, portable belt grinder, yeah, it works.  Were I looking at a lot of major blade grinding I would definitely upgrade in a different direction.  (Bottom end — less than $50 for a Harbor Freight belt grinder)

It’s about $150 for the WS Ken Onion plus $100 for the Blade grinding attachment.  .

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Ί

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Justin D
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 4

Just sharpened my Spyderco Salt I. I used the 1000 grit diamond stones and stropped with the 5/3.5 micron.

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Nice work.

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Vintage cleaver was dropped off today for restoration.  Thought Id share because Im not sure what to make of a few of its “features”?

Its a Foster Brothers and appears old and it obvious bad shape, but cant make out much more then that ATM.20160202_201123

It has holes in weird places.  This one is 1/8 from the edge and with the large dings towards the tip it could get interesting…20160202_201139

Also on the other side the steel is completely blown out 1/4in down from apex over an inch long and again close to another weird hole.  Why put holes that close to the edge?20160202_201443

Finally there is the poor handle that needs replacing all broken off and splitting.20160202_202008

The customer said he loves the knife but didn’t want to spend a bunch of money to bring it back.  I said Id see what I can do….knowing full well that there’s at least 3hrs of solid work ahead.  

This one will be more for the experience I will gain and hopefully for the good word of mouth advertising. 

Attachments:
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Better you than me Cliff!! I don’t envy the work ahead of you on that one! But it sure is a great sense of satisfaction when it turns out nice at the end huh?! Post pics when done!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.