Advanced Search

What are you sharpening today?

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat What are you sharpening today?

Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Josh,

What’s the make/model of this knife? Is it the Norseman?

-Clay

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Josh, What’s the make/model of this knife? Is it the Norseman?

Yes it is!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Rick
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 54

Got to do a little work on this, mostly cleaning and then sharpening. Rolls Razor. Pretty niffty little thing. Early version saftey razor. For sharpening took the guard off and used the water stones up to 10k, then stropped. The razor, handle, hone, and strop are built into the case using the built in handle to push the blade on the hone or pull it on the strop. I didnt use them for sharpening as they are pretty beat up. Over all was fun to work on.

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

That looks to be in pretty good shape.  Do you know how old it is?  Does it have a “cool” history?

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Rick
    Participant

MirrorEdge, I agree. The guy has taken really good care of it, though a water leak found it and some rust started to form. Date wise for it, some time between 1930’s and 1950’s. Doesnt really narrow it down I know, but I’m leaning more to the 1930’s early 1940’s for it. Lately I’ve started getting more old, and old style razors brought to me for sharpening. This was the first Rolls Razor though.

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

Thanks for sharing Rick.  I think a lot of people are moving to using straight razors and all the variants again.  The disposable razor is such a waste of money and resources.  In fact, I am learning to use a straight razor now and am getting  the “Hang” of it.  Being able to sharpen and maintain it myself is a huge plus.  I expect the demand for safety razors and straight razors  is going to continue to rise.  Our “disposable” life style and economy  is slowing coming to a end my friend (Its about time). The Quality and longevity of these “old school” tools is starting to become something of value again.  This is a social media trend that I have seen just explode in recent months.  I for one, welcome it….

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

Rick
    Participant

MirrorEdge; I agree. I just recently start using an old Gillette saftey razor. lol. Just dont trust myself with the straight. lol. Last year I might have sharpened  straight razors every now and then. Now I am seeing several of them every few months. Guys in the 50’s and up going back to them, and guys in their 30’s, 40’s switching to them. Taught a couple of them how to sharpen and stropp their own razors. For me, went to buy a pack of the Gillette cartridges I normally use and realized Im spending about $20.00 for 4 cartridges. I might get 4 shaves per cartridge. Walked away and instead picked up a puck of shave soap, brush, and shave mug. lol.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.