Advanced Search

WE66 Questions?

Recent Forums Main Forum WE66 Questions?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Toker
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 9

I currently own a WE120 and decided to upgrade to the WE66. I’m a big fan of the new clamp, especially for FFG blades. The micro-adjust is perfect. The problem is that I’m now seeing a few new issues that I did not expect.

1. I clamped a paring knife and just scraped the edge of the clamp. Just a regular Henckels 4″ paring knife at a 20° angle. Since the clamp sits lower than my WE120, it doesn’t seem like I can do any reasonable angle with very small knives or even steak knives. It doesn’t make sense to me to buy the low angle adapter instead of just keeping my WE120 for small knives.
    2. Since the WE66 clamp is a little shorter than the WE120, I can’t clamp a dagger sized blade like the Busse FMV8. It’s about 1.5″ in width and the clamp has nothing to grab onto since the middle of the blade is too high. With the WE120, I was able to go all the way down to the first screw and clamp it.

Any ideas from the more experienced WE users here? Worst case scenario is that I just keep the WE120 and use it for things the WE66 doesn’t seem to do.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Yes, you’re vise-proportion observations between the WE120 and WE66 models and the shortcoming is dead on correct. The reason for the value to keep the two different models.

You can either augment the new shorter WE66 on the top with a WE LAA or on the bottom by elevating the vise with a riser block installation. With a riser block I can achieve around 17° clamped in the vise, for the knife you’ve described.

To add: for full-size chef’s knives I can achieve 14-15° with the riser block system.

I discuss this and other sharpening options in my Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/683248253138189/?ref=share

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Marc H.
    Marc H

Allow me:

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Toker
    Participant

Thanks. So the best option is to get an aftermarket riser for the WE66? I don’t think Wicked Edge sells them any longer and I don’t know if the ones that do exist will work with the WE6.

Marc H

Yes, this is an available option that works well. I have a riser on every WE model.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Toker
    Participant

Hopefully, the last question. I did a search on the Facebook group and I didn’t see an install video for the WE66. The one for the WE130 looks like the entire vise is self contained. Is it as simple as removing the current vise and installing the riser block between the base and the vise? I didn’t take it apart yet, but it looks like the stack under the arm rests on the base? Just want to make sure things don’t go flying everywhere when I take it apart.

Marc H

Nothing is spring loaded. Nothing goes flying.

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/M1phiHa1F12bA9Zr/?mibextid=oFDknk

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Marc H

You can go with the simple riser block or the Stabil-Rizer with the blade support.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Toker
    Participant

Thanks. You are an awesome resource!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

That’s why I started the the Expert Corner Group. But, not everyone is comfortable with that form of interaction. I’ve amassed some good info in the FBG. Enjoy your viewing. I’m told 2x speed helps. I talk alot.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.