Advanced Search

WE66 Obsidian vs WE130?

Recent Forums Main Forum WE66 Obsidian vs WE130?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    SpensiveHabits
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 5

Hi all,

I purchased a WE130 recently and haven’t taken it out of the box just yet.  I noticed today that there is a new WE66 Obsidian model that was recently released.  Is the WE130 still the go to model for now, or would I be wise to return it, and purchase the WE66?  I expected these to be portable models with concessions, but this WE66 appears to be pretty complete.  I’m moving up from a sharpmaker, so I’m sure I’ll be happy with either, but I’m now on the fence about which system is the best investment.  I’m a typical hobbyist that likes sharp blades, and I don’t expect I would need a portable solution.

Thanks for any advice.

-Kiel

Shophand
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 6

I love mine for sure. The only limitation is that I am waiting for the 1/4 jaws so i can grab bigger knives.:). I believe the 130 has a lil bigger vise and thats all i think. The WE66 is milled out of a solid block of aluminum pretty solid.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Shophand.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Shophand.
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

I would keep the 130, it is larger with more room to work.   There are also more accessories for it and you already have it in fort of you.  The New models were to replace an older portable WE Go.. The Obsidian is Portable, small and compact.  It does NOTHING  different or better than the  WE130,  other than it comes with a C-Clamp to mount it to your kitchen table..  In my opinion the 66 need a riser block to raise the vise to a better working level.  As it is from the factory , you will have to flip you stone over after every stork if you want to have the entire stone used and wear evenly.. In other words, with a pocket knife mounted, you will only be using 1/2 of the stone to sharpen the knive.. the other half is always above the blade unused..

1 user thanked author for this post.
    SpensiveHabits
    Participant

I love mine for sure. The only limitation is that I am waiting for the 1/4 jaws so i can grab bigger knives.:). I believe the 130 has a lil bigger vise and thats all i think. The WE66 is milled out of a solid block of aluminum pretty solid.

Thanks for the input on your experience.  Appreciate it.

-Kiel

SpensiveHabits
    Participant

I would keep the 130, it is larger with more room to work. There are also more accessories for it and you already have it in fort of you. The New models were to replace an older portable WE Go.. The Obsidian is Portable, small and compact. It does NOTHING different or better than the WE130, other than it comes with a C-Clamp to mount it to your kitchen table.. In my opinion the 66 need a riser block to raise the vise to a better working level. As it is from the factory , you will have to flip you stone over after every stork if you want to have the entire stone used and wear evenly.. In other words, with a pocket knife mounted, you will only be using 1/2 of the stone to sharpen the knive.. the other half is always above the blade unused..

Thanks for the input here.  This is great feedback.  Having never used either one, I was really having trouble comparing the specifications and images usefully.  If I decided to purchase a WE66, I would have gotten the aluminum block and used it exclusively.

This definitely has me heading toward keeping the WE130.  Much appreciate the response.

-Kiel

Stephen
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 4

I sent an email to WE this week on the differences between the two.  My primary use case are full flat grind kitchen knives.   A customer success manager wrote back with a fantastic response which I am pasting below.

———————————–
    In all honesty, the WE66 Obsidian is my favorite sharpener that we have. The new DualCam ViseWE66, while functionally operating the same as the CamLock (WE130), it is overall a better vise. It clamps more securely to fully flat ground and distally tapered blades, like kitchen knives, and is just generally a more energy-efficient, better-designed clamp.

The other major benefit of the WE66 is the Micro Angle-Drive. With the WE130, the angle adjustment can be a little more fiddly. You set the angle with the divots in the Degree Bar and then use the micro-adjust to hone in on the specific angle you’re looking for. TheWE66 takes both of these steps and places them into 1, fluid motion.

The biggest factors to consider when choosing between these two is the angle ranges, WE66is 13-31 while the WE130 is 13-35, and the price point. The WE130 plus the 800/1000 grit is still more affordable than the WE66. We are in the final push of creating a 1/4″ Jaw that works with the WE66. This should be out in the coming weeks.

Between the two, I would definitely suggest the WE66. I believe it’s an overall better sharpener that leads to a better sharpening experience overall.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Stephen.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Stephen.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

While I trust and have talked to staff at WE, keep in mind this is their new sharpener and it is what they will push. I am not saying that the person you talked to is incorrect. I do not own or have not ever used the 66 but I have sharpened over 1000 knives with my 130 and I love it. It does sound to me that the new sharpener is easier to use maybe, but I’ll tell you the 130 is not hard to use. By the time I had my first set of stones broke in, I had me broke in to. I still learn all the time and always try to improve my stroke and process. I don’t care what system you use, there is a learning curve with all of them and there is no substitute for experience. Weigh the $. Either way I think you are going to like your new system. Good luck.

To the pleasure, sksharp

Stephen
    Participant

I hear you.  I was all prepped to purchase the 130 before the 66 came out.  And my first reaction when I saw it was trying to understand the markup for what looked like a  fancier version of the 60.
    I do sales as a living and I’ve come to appreciate and recognize when a sales person is sharing their honest opinion as a subject matter expert.
    S, yes, I bit the bullet and went with the 66.  Right now my biggest challenge is waiting for UPS. No one has addressed how hard that is!

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

It really just comes down to personal likes and dislikes and people’s lifestyles. If I were still hunting and camping and stuff, then I would probably go with the WE66 because of it being more portable and its easiness to be mounted.

And if I was on a tight budget or didn’t sharpen much or mainly sharpened slip joint pocketknives then I would go for the WE60. If I mostly stayed home and didn’t travel and hunt and stuff, then I would probably go for the WE130.

It just depends on a person’s wants and needs.

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I also own a WE60, pre purchased when it first came out for $150.00. With the deluxe case and an extra set of stones(800/1000) and 14/10 leather strop, it’s a pretty complete system for personal use on certain knives, but it has limitations. For portability and ease of set up there’s nothing close though. Perfect for hunting and vacation trips. You can even leave it in your vehicle so you always have it if you want, it takes up very little space.

A comparison of the 66 to the 130 is a better comparison I think. I think the 130 is more flexible, and with my Nanuk case that came with it, it’s portable but 50 or so pounds fully loaded and the size of a large suitcase with wheels. Not something most people are going to want to drag through the woods on vacations or hunting camps.

To the pleasure, sksharp

Stephen
    Participant

My WE66 finally arrived today and I have to admit I am impressed.  I don’t have a 130 to compare, but the vice jaws grab and hold onto knives with different profiles with ease.  The dial to adjust the angle is, as described, very smooth and very intuitive.  I also like that the depth key is just for smaller knives.  Anything larger just sits in the base of the vice.  I’m sure it’s just a matter of time, but when I use the depth key I have to pay extra attention to ensure that the knife is level and resting on both prongs.  I’m sure a few more days of use and this will be second nature.

I ordered the aluminum base, but the holes were not tapped correctly and the neither allen bolt would fit.  I emailed WickedEdge and they said that has happened with a few and they are sending a replacement.  However, after using it with the supplied vice I’m not sure you even need the base.  As long as you have a table with an edge for the vice to secure it to, it is fast and very solid.  The Aluminum base is definitely solid and will be secure, but I can appreciate the difference in portability with it and without.

So, Even with only the first couple of knives and the stones not yet broken in I am getting some extremely sharp results too.

Quick summary:  I love it!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.