Advanced Search

we 130 vice clicking noise

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance we 130 vice clicking noise

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    James Wilson
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 5

My we 130 vice has developed a clicking noise when releasing the knife from the jaws. I know there was a topic on this in the forum when this type vice first came out but I can’t find the article. Does anyone have a cure for this?

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

How old is your WE130 James?  When did you get it?  When you release the cam lever by rotating it to the left do the jaws spring open and stay open?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

James Wilson
    Participant
    • Replies: 5

I found the article I was looking for from graphite. The cam follower was a little tight. I sanded it lightly and now all is smooth.

Thank to all for the help.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Duke
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 7

Reviving this subject due to my WE130 making the clicking noise James described. When closing the vise at approximately 3/4 of the way down the vise makes this click or more like a pop in my case. I tried the search feature but I’m not having much luck finding the thread James mentioned. Need some help finding the thread by graphite or some assistance in troubleshooting the issue. Any help is much appreciated.

MarcH

This is the Wicked Edge Forum thread  where the clicking vice was discussed.

Here is the PDF instructions to disassembly and clean the Gen 3 vise:

WEClampCleaning
    Hope this helps.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    Duke
    Participant

Greatly appreciated MarcH. I’ll give it a go tomorrow and see if it solves my issue.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Replies: 8

My original WE130 vice was making similar noises so I contacted Wicked Edge.  They were very helpful and sent me the document that MarcH has referenced, but they also told me to look for scratches on the pedestal.  I followed the instructions for disassembly and reassembly twice, both times polishing off the scratches that I found on the pedestal using 400 grit wet/dry paper.  Unfortunately, the scratches came back a third time.

I contacted the folks at Wicked Edge and they sent me some replacement parts for the vice (if I remember correctly the pedestal and the washers).  That solved the problem, and it hasn’t returned in the year that has passed since.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Duke
    Participant

Took my vise apart this morning and cleaned it up. Everything is working well, (very smooth). If I have the problem again I’ll contact Wicked Edge. Thanks for the help folks.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH

Duke,  I find my vises may get a little noisy or sticky with a lot of use, over time.  I just do what you did, and break them down and clean and lubricate the parts with a dry wax lubricant suitable for bicycle chains and derailleurs.   I use the same lubricant on the guide rod ball ends after wiping them clean with a dry towel.  This I do simply for regular maintenance.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.