Advanced Search

[Video] Mounting FFG blades (spyderco esp.)

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies [Video] Mounting FFG blades (spyderco esp.)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I did a video on this finally to explain it using other’s idea with the tape… hope it helps some ppl out! In this video I’m showing how to mount your ffg blade, that still has a flat part at the base (mainly spydercos) in the vise by just tilting it without using any foam or tape.

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Excellent, Josh…. Thanks for doing this video….

It was just over 10 minutes long. How long would it normally take you to do that knife?

I feel like I, figuratively, bumped my head on the thought of stopping at 600 grit…… I want to shout…. “but what about all the other, finer grits, stones & strops?!!?

I recently have been re-reading Leonard Lee’s “The Complete Guide To Sharpening”.

Sharpness for a cutting tool could be defined as two surfaces meeting at a line of zero width.

That being said, cutting is the application of sharpness to the material being cut.

And as you point out, the 600 grit shaves and cuts and, I’m guessing doesn’t dull quickly.

Thanks for posting the video….

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Good video josh, should definitely be under the how to videos section

Josh
    Participant

Excellent, Josh…. Thanks for doing this video….

It was just over 10 minutes long. How long would it normally take you to do that knife?

I feel like I, figuratively, bumped my head on the thought of stopping at 600 grit…… I want to shout…. “but what about all the other, finer grits, stones & strops?!!?

I recently have been re-reading Leonard Lee’s “The Complete Guide To Sharpening”.

Sharpness for a cutting tool could be defined as two surfaces meeting at a line of zero width.

That being said, cutting is the application of sharpness to the material being cut.

And as you point out, the 600 grit shaves and cuts and, I’m guessing doesn’t dull quickly.

Thanks for posting the video….

glad I could help clear some things up! 🙂 yeah I LOVE this toothy edge for EDC… it’s rare that I go above it. On japanese knives I do go up to 2k waterstones and strop but that’s because the edge is much thinner and can handle the polish/push cutting.

Josh
    Participant

Good video josh, should definitely be under the how to videos section

oh my bad… i didn’t know there was such a section!

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Haha i knew you’ld say that. Thats because there should be. Right at the top of the catagories .

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Great video, Josh. Straight forward and informative.

Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.