Advanced Search

Victorinox Fibrox Pro 8" chef's knife

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Victorinox Fibrox Pro 8" chef's knife

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

For those of you who follow kitchen knives, I attempted here to study the realities of the Victorinox knife.  At the end of January, I bought a Victorinox Fibrox Pro 8″ chef’s knife from Amazon just to see what the whoopla is all about.  Before I used it even once, I chucked it up in my WEPS and ran the microscope up and down the edge, taking a video of the original edge.  The blade was very uniformly sanded and polished to produce what I believe is the best factory edge I’ve ever seen on a mass-produced kitchen knife.  The polish job was pretty extensive, leaving what appears to be a very nice convex edge.

I measured the shoulder thickness at between 0.015″ and 0.020.”  I’m not sure what the actual angle was at the apex, and I couldn’t help myself – I immediately started working the edge, hoping to get a sense of the bevel angle.  As near as I could tell, the angle was something around 16 dps.  It must have been close to this, as it took very little effort to produce a beautiful set of bevels at 16 dps using my 800-grit stones.

Please forgive the poor quality of this video, as I sharpened the knife before confirming the quality of the “before” video, so it’s all I had to work with.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Thanks, Tom.  That’s another winning product from “Cook’s Country” and “America’s Test Kitchens”.  I used the 6″ Victorinox boning knives with the Fibrox handles for fish fileting/cleaning for years.  Great knives for the $$$.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I’ve had some experience with Victorinox knives and their fibrox line of kitchen knives are the best bang for the buck, in my opinion. They perform as good as anything I’ve experienced at the point in time. They hold an edge well and are fun to use, just not flashy!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

The eight inch chef knife is on a pretty good deal over on Amazon at $29.99 right now. The price usually overs around the $40 mark. The knife is a nice value when it comes to blade performance compared to other European style knives but is a little odd in the hand because of the handle shape.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.