Advanced Search

Vertical vs Horizontal

Recent Forums Main Forum Vertical vs Horizontal

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

As a 10 year WEPS user with great results I have seen a proliferation of many jig systems trying to do the same thing. Even Jende has a real nice looking one now. However, they all seem to have horizontal knife mounts vs. the WEPS vertical. Besides the WEPS advantage of doing both sides at once, WEPS allows you to adjust the position only once to optimize angles and bevels from toe to tip especially along the curve to the tip (per Anthony Yan’s great mathematical proof). I find it results in tighter curves being positioned closer to the fixed rod mount. I use my finger on the rod to eyeball the best curvature (following) while clamping. It would seem to me that while you can do that on the horizontal setups when you flip the knife that you would lose that optimal position. WDYT ?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

If I understand your question correctly, I believe that flipping the horizontal knife holder rotates the vise on the same plane (or axis) as the rod centerline, so there should be no change in the relationship between the shape of the edge and the rod’s rotational axis.  It will be reversed but not otherwise altered.

As a side note, I see two major benefits in the vertical edge orientation over systems that use the horizontal configuration.  The first is the access for viewing the edge.  When using a hand-held microscope, a loupe or an overhead light source, both bevels and the apex are easily viewed.  It also helps you to see the entire scope of a specific point of damage.  The second advantage lies in the ability to use alternating strokes when attempting to remove burrs, stropping or when creating microbevels.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.