Advanced Search

Using simple green and a brush to clean stones

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Using simple green and a brush to clean stones

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 33

As the title says. Any thoughts?

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Simple Green is not recommended.  This cleaner has been reported by W.E. users to dissolve and loosen the adhesive used to attach the sharpening stones to the plastic paddles.

Here’s what’s recommended: https://support.wickededgeusa.com/portal/en/kb/articles/how-to-clean-your-diamond-stones

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 404

I would not use Simple Green or Oil Eater. I just use warm water and dish soap with a scrub brush.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Kenneth
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 33

Do you think it may have bee the water heat maybe caused the adhesive to come off versus the  simple green?

Dwight Glass
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 89

I have used “Bar Keepers Friend” and an old tooth brush.

I do not use “Simple Green” on any thing from “Wicked Edge”.

Rodger
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 20

Any opinions of polymer erasers? I use a Pentel polymer eraser and—at least visually—it seems to do a good job cleaning my stones. Thanks

Matt
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 6

What’s the general consensus on how often to clean your stones?  I’m sure this is case by case, but I’m just curious as I’m knew to all of this as well and have only sharpened say 20-25 knives on my setup.  I probably spend more time on each stone than the more advanced users simply trying to erase the previous grits scratches for a more even polish.  Having a general idea will help.  Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.