Advanced Search

USB microscopes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mike
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 33

What to look for? and user experiences?

I’ve been looking at ones on amazon for $50 and im wondering if theyre even up to the task. i also see ones with 800x magnification for $20 and ones with 200x going for $50 plus?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301305980140?lpid=82&chn=ps

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

For starters, check out my video:

mike
    Participant

No link?

tcmeyer
    Participant

The video box is the link. If you don’t see the video box in my post, try a different browser.

mike
    Participant

Oh I’m sorry… I’m on my phone, I’ll look at it when I get home

Austin Nelson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 25

Oh I’m sorry… I’m on my phone, I’ll look at it when I get home

Download tapatalk

Austin

mike
    Participant

wow thats just awesome what you can see with that thing. i;m definitely picking one up when i get my WEPS system. what i want to do is take some pictures of my knives im wanting to sharpen and do some before and after pictures. it might be embarassing to show the edges on the butcher knives i use as well as my pocket knives haha.

tcmeyer
    Participant

There’s another cool thing you can do… For a couple of friends and relatives, when I’ve done a higher-end knife, I record before and after videos of the edge with the microscope moving along the edge and sweeping from side to side. It shows them what the damage looked like, how deep the dents are and how the damage has been removed. Put it on a thumb drive (that they’ve supplied) or email it to them. They think it’s absolutely awesome. Most people have never seen a knife edge up close and personal.

mike
    Participant

so how much was yours?

i want one that is good quality and has software for recording and taking pictures

tcmeyer
    Participant

As shown in the video, I use a Celestron 5MP at the lowest magnification that will focus at the plane of the objective shroud. They’re on Amazon at $84 with free shipping in the US. You’ll need a PC of some sort. I use an old Dell laptop running windows XP with a non-working display. I added a widescreen monitor for about $140?

All of the USB microscopes I’ve used have software that does both video and stills. Some of the off-the-wall Chinese versions use non-standard video formats, which require some other video conversion software for posting on Youtube. I like the Celestron software.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.