Advanced Search

USB microscope…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 121

I have seen some amazing photos of close ups of edges under microscopic lenses. So I began to wonder what was available without spending thousands of dollars on laboratory quality microscope and camera attachment. So I found this one http://www.adafruit.com/products/636 and would like to know if there is a better one for about this price range available. One qualifying feature is that I need it for a Mac computer with current Lion operating system.

This one seems to fill the bill, magnifies to about x200 and can take a picture from the computer so the camera doesn’t move and it works with Mac computers for about $79 + shipping. I really just want to be able to see the microscopic version of the edge to compare various grit scratches. I don’t really need too many features. Do I need stereoscopic capability for this or is a single lens image sufficient for scratches on the apex?

Thanks

Scott

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I don’t know the microscope you are referring to. However, from the specs it looks decent value for money.

The microscopes used most often by people on this forum are various types of Dino-Lite and the Veho VHS-400. Don’t focus on the magnification factor alone; just as important are the ability of the microscope to focus well and the lighting.

I’ve never heard of a stereoscopic ability of these microscopes and in practice I’ve never felt a need for it.

Success and let us know how you fare with the microscope!

[Edit: I looked at this microscope again. I cannot find its brand on the site you link to. However, it looks very much like the Veho-VHS400 I have. But since they state the magnification has been upgraded froom 200 to 500, it could be a Dino-Lite too. At least it doesn’t require a Mac; it works under Windows too.]

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

It appears to be a Veho clone.
    The box says MicroView in the YouTube video.

The software download says this-
    “There’s a manual in the ZIP but its for the older version of this camera, the specifications listed there will be for the older camera which you can disregard.”
    That manual and software is for a Veho VMS004.

Steven Pinson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 49

I use an endoscope with 200x and find it to be more than adequate for edges.

Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 121

Steven, If I may ask, what endoscope are you using?

One of the things I was looking for was something with the most mega pixels as this will dictate the clarity and detail of the image you are reviewing as it is zoomed in on the computer screen. It seems that most are in the 2 mp range while this one is 5 mp.

I know there are many new to this forum and to knife sharpening, (me included) who are spending some serious coin to get this WE sharpening system and it seems to make sense to be able to see the edge microscopically since we are dealing with diamond and ceramic stones and grits measured in nano to achieve a fine edge apex. So I thought it might also interest some here to examine means by which the microscopic aspects of this hobby might become available to us.

I did a search here and didn’t really find much that discussed this type of equipment but it seems to go hand in hand with the WEP system.

Thanks for your contributions and hope this helps some as it will help me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.