Advanced Search

Upgrade Dream List

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Upgrade Dream List

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

So the “riser” doesn’t actually raise the knife higher… Just the base of the rod arms, right? And how does this affect being able to use the stabilizing rod for fillet knives? I don’t see how it would make a difference…

It raises the vice effectively lengthening the “pivot point to blade edge” distance, but in doing so it raises the knife higher above the base making the stabilizing rod too short, unless you take and rotate the tip of the knife downwards in the vice, which will possibly introduce some funky angle changes on your bevel.

Does that help or have I really confused you now?

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

So the “riser” doesn’t actually raise the knife higher… Just the base of the rod arms, right? And how does this affect being able to use the stabilizing rod for fillet knives? I don’t see how it would make a difference…

It raises the vice effectively lengthening the “pivot point to blade edge” distance, but in doing so it raises the knife higher above the base making the stabilizing rod too short, unless you take and rotate the tip of the knife downwards in the vice, which will possibly introduce some funky angle changes on your bevel.

Does that help or have I really confused you now?[/quote]

No that totally makes sense…. I looked at the picture again and had not seen the vise riser before. Has anyone tried using the new arms with the vise with no riser under it? If s , what is the minimal angle without the riser block?

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 119

I’m not sure. I just got an email saying mine should be shipping by the 17th. I imagine it would be around what it is with the stock arms, but the the angle dimples are not going to be correct using the new arms without the riser. With an angle cube it should be doable…

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Ah sweet, so the easy cheapest fix to this is just getting an angle cube it sounds like 🙂 let us knowionce you get yours in!

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

Ah sweet, so the easy cheapest fix to this is just getting an angle cube it sounds like 🙂 let us knowionce you get yours in!

Hi Josh, it’s not so much that the angles may not be the same without the riser.
    It’s more to do with the length of the stroke with the stone using the the new arms and “no” riser.
    You can see in the pics that the top part of the stone can’t be used.

Compare the lengths.

It seems the riser was included to allow the ball joint addition.
    See point “A” is roughly the same.

The new crossbar was added for a couple of reasons.
    The first being a “belly” was found on the old crossbars and the tighter fitting new “L” bracket wouldn’t fit.

The second was the ability to achieve more acute angles (13°) and therefore an angle dimple location revision.
    While this thought was going around, a longer crossbar would also offer 35°.

I would like to try an even thicker riser and longer arms.
    So the full length of the stone can be used.

When you say “cheapest fix”, you are aware what comes with the ball bearing upgrade kit?

I am working on a solution to support/strengthen the hold on a flexible knife.

I see the ProPack II is still advertised as having the knife brace feature. 😉

Chris
    Participant

I see a quick look by Clay at a paddle you can attach a rod, back in 2011.

Wonder where this idea went?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’m still working on that, it’s actually very close to completion.

-Clay

Ted S
    Participant
    • Replies: 31

Is it also the solution for serrations?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Is it also the solution for serrations?[/quote]

It is one of several.

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

So the “Coming Soon:” list on page 11. of the user guide are still in the works?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Josh, it’s not so much that the angles may not be the same without the riser.
    It’s more to do with the length of the stroke with the stone using the the new arms and “no” riser.
    You can see in the pics that the top part of the stone can’t be used.

[ … ]

It seems the riser was included to allow the ball joint addition.
    See point “A” is roughly the same.

The new crossbar was added for a couple of reasons.
    The first being a “belly” was found on the old crossbars and the tighter fitting new “L” bracket wouldn’t fit.

[ … ]

The second was the ability to achieve more acute angles (13°) and therefore an angle dimple location revision.
    While this thought was going around, a longer crossbar would also offer 35°.

I would like to try an even thicker riser and longer arms.
    So the full length of the stone can be used.

Very smart observations, Chris! I never looked at it this way. I guess you’re an engineer as well?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Chris
    Participant

Very smart observations, Chris! I never looked at it this way. I guess you’re an engineer as well?

I have worn many hats. 😉

Of course the length of the stroke varies with the angle used.
    Thirty five degrees uses all the stone but could use longer arms.

I would like to throw in another spacer (or an adjustable option) for acute angles.
    Machine the sides of the clamp also.

Now if I can only get some parts from Clay? 😉

Great to hear your voice again, apologies for being a wanker! :whistle:

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.