Advanced Search

Upgrade Dream List

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Upgrade Dream List

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I like the female dovetail track idea, with male dovetails on the riser and L brackets.

Perhaps another sliding rule (with dimples) in the track, how to allow for the slight tilt on the right side of the clamp though.
    I mean the left will always be fixed unless it’s back to the drawing board.

Perhaps a clamp that squeezes from both sides?

Or do I just adapt a lathe and use that? 😉

The designs I’m working with have free floating, self-centering clamps. They always put the mid line of the knife at the mid line of the jig.

-Clay

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

The designs I’m working with have free floating, self-centering clamps. The always put the mid line of the knife at the mid line of the jig.

Of course you would do this, that right hand side is a pain. 😉

Chris
    Participant

I’m guessing a central adjusting bolt which has one half left hand thread and the other is right hand? 😉

Don’t tell me.

Dennis Gocong
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 93

…….

My most wished for item would have to be a serrated solution, which you are also working on.

+1, same for me on what I’d love to see come out next too!

Chris
    Participant

…….

My most wished for item would have to be a serrated solution, which you are also working on.

+1, same for me on what I’d love to see come out next too![/quote]

For a christmas present? (would be nice) 😉

Marion
    Participant
    • Replies: 41

I would like a longer set of jaws that could hold flexible knives and make them inflexible during sharpening. Fishing/boning knives can be done incrementally, but I would prefer to get longer strokes on the blades.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I would like a longer set of jaws that could hold flexible knives and make them inflexible during sharpening. Fishing/boning knives can be done incrementally, but I would prefer to get longer strokes on the blades.

Thanks for bringing that up. I’ve been slowly working on that concept but your post just gave me a good idea that I’ll try to pursue. 🙂

-Clay

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 109

+1

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I’ve had good success just using the stock spine support rod that fits into the frontiof the we base…. It keeps it rigid enough and works well I think 🙂

Chris
    Participant

I’ve had good success just using the stock spine support rod that fits into the frontiof the we base…. It keeps it rigid enough and works well I think 🙂

We can’t use that rod if we upgrade to the ball joint arms as the included riser lifts the knife too high.

I wonder if Clay has ever used two vise clamps to hold a knife?
    Might simply mount two arms each side of my bench vise. 😉

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

I have a great and simple idea I’m going to try tomorrow. How about an extender on the support rod? I’m going to cut a short chunk of dowel rod, drill a hole to fit on top of the extended and file a ‘v ‘ notch on top. If it’s too short a few layers of masking tape will match the heights. It seems too simple to work…
    More on this tomorrow….

Gary Crumb
    Participant
    • Replies: 119

I have a great and simple idea I’m going to try tomorrow. How about an extender on the support rod? I’m going to cut a short chunk of dowel rod, drill a hole to fit on top of the extended and file a ‘v ‘ notch on top. If it’s too short a few layers of masking tape will match the heights. It seems too simple to work…
    More on this tomorrow….

If it works, maybe get machined in metal for longevity and durability…?

Josh
    Participant

We can’t use that rod if we upgrade to the ball joint arms as the included riser lifts the knife too high.

I wonder if Clay has ever used two vise clamps to hold a knife?
    Might simply mount two arms each side of my bench vise. ;)[/quote]

Riser? Could you post pics? Haven’t seen this yet I don’t think…

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

REnives

The block is an ~ 1 inch tall addition that comes with the upgrade arms. It installs at the base of the vise triangle.
    Take a look here

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v1.tpl&product_id=468&category_id=73&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

Josh
    Participant

So the “riser” doesn’t actually raise the knife higher… Just the base of the rod arms, right? And how does this affect being able to use the stabilizing rod for fillet knives? I don’t see how it would make a difference…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.