Advanced Search

Upgrade Dream List

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Upgrade Dream List

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

So I was thinking of things that could be improved or additions to an already fantastic tool.
    A couple things for the next batch…
    improved finish on the slider rods
    More base type choices.
    A second set of vise screws that allows for thicker blades (there may be a design reason this is not offered now)
    longer rods to allow for longer blades (I’m sure these would need more thought as longer blades need more support)
    maybe brass rods for bling factor.
    custom engraving on the base
    Gold plated spinners….wait…now I’m just hallucinating….

You see where I’m going with this.
    maybe we can brainstorm and ensure Clays world domination….

David Hamilton
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 7

how about a base that holds multiple risers and arms so I can do my 19″ saw back bayonet without constantly moving it, and hoping the base doesn’t tip over? and how about an attachment that lets the saw back edge of it be sharpened? 🙂 It seems it shouldn’t be much more then twice as hard as sharpening a serrated knife.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

How about properly made storage boxes.
    – Individual plastic boxes for each stone set
    – Box that would hold 10 stones or so
    – Box that would hold WEPS with base attached.
    I have seen a lot of tackle boxes to hold the stones, some look good, but none are perfect. Individual boxes for each set of stones would be nice. I would be willing to pay for stone boxes as an accessory.

Fred Hermann
    Participant

Oh, and on the stone box idea,
    One of the forumites had an idea for plastic or rubber stone covers, to ensure you’re not cross contaminating your strops. I thought that was genius. Although individual stone boxes might be even better.

Joel Fiorentini
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 26

What about a vise that both sides expand and contract at the same time, such as a screw or worm gear design. The angle guides would move independently with the left and right jaws, That way the left and right angle degrees would be identical based on the spine thickness of the knife as opposed to the right being approx. 1 degree off. Hope this makes sense.

Fred Hermann
    Participant

I’m thinking a worm drive is a great idea. It might significantly increase price. Also it would need to be cleanable and have a dust guard. Imagine the wear when it’s full of diamond dust.
    Just a thought. Not insurmountable though.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hey guys, sorry for my absense on the forum yesterday. I’m out of town at a soccer tournament for my little girl and didn’t bring a computer.

These are great suggestions and I’m slowly working on them. I’ve played around a lot with free floating jaws and different clamping mechanisms. Wait til you guys see what I’ve got cooking! 🙂

I will continue to work on storage options for both the stones and the strops.

Love the other ideas about customizing the units. I’ll have to ponder that one… Maybe we can get a number of the bases in without anodizing and then offer color choices and engraving.

-Clay

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Clay,

Everything I would like to see is plastic and would cost a lot to buy molds, then nothing to make. The plastic storage boxes, and also a proper guard for the pivots (instead of plastic washers or fingers cut off gloves).

You could do different colors for the vice bases. WE = blue, WE PP = Red or gold, etc. Custom order colors also sound neat.

One of the things I like about Benchmade is that they have a lot of different knife designers working for them. You see the names on all their knives. I don’t care for every designer, but I can see their influence and style. Have you thought about having a knife designer making designs for BM? They could design knives or even an entire series (Like Harley Davidson or HK)? I don’t know your business strategy, but I think it would be neat to see the Wicked Edge logo on BM knives. At the least you can have the logo custom laser marked on a popular knife like the Griptilian or 940.

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

I would like to see a WE designed/adapted angle guage that is incorporated into a blank paddle.

Which allows an option for setting up without a stone.
    You could dial in a known setting depending on the stone thickness you are using.
    Like mineral stones (choseras) which are not magnetic and thicker.

wickededge
    Keymaster

I would like to see a WE designed/adapted angle guage that is incorporated into a blank paddle.

Which allows an option for setting up without a stone.
    You could dial in a known setting depending on the stone thickness you are using.
    Like mineral stones (choseras) which are not magnetic and thicker.

This is in the works. I’ve been collaborating with the people at iGaging to make it happen and they’re working up some prototypes.

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

This is in the works. I’ve been collaborating with the people at iGaging to make it happen and they’re working up some prototypes.

Damn hard to make a better mouse trap when the one you already have is catching so many mice! 😉
    I would have bet you were already onto this.

My most wished for item would have to be a serrated solution, which you are also working on.

I had a dream about a “female” dovetail base bar with “male” vise clamp and L brackets.
    So you can clamp the knife, then centre it.
    But how to get the angle dimples right?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Chris,

I’ll have to get back to you on that one, cause it’s Top Secret! There are a couple ways to do it though and I’m working on one and will start on another before long.

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

I’ll keep dreaming in the mean time. 😉

Thanks!

wickededge
    Keymaster

I’ll keep dreaming in the mean time. 😉

Thanks!

Yes, please do! And please keep sharing them with me, I love your ideas.

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

I like the female dovetail track idea, with male dovetails on the riser and L brackets.

Perhaps another sliding rule (with dimples) in the track, how to allow for the slight tilt on the right side of the clamp though.
    I mean the left will always be fixed unless it’s back to the drawing board.

Perhaps a clamp that squeezes from both sides?

Or do I just adapt a lathe and use that? 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.