Advanced Search

Toothy and Diamond Spray Questions…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

So far, I’ve done all my edges to mirror, as best I can with 3.5 Strops.  With that, I can whittle hair and I’ve been happy with that.  At this point, I have 2 questions…

1.  What will 1 and 0.5 diamond spray on leather give me?

2.  If I want a more toothy edge, with some bite, where do I stop in the progression and should I still strop after the last stone?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

The diamond spray on strops will get you from polished to very polished.  The difference probably won’t be detectable without looking very closely at the edge.  Probably won’y detect a performance improvement either.  I’m interested to see if others concur with me on that.

I think that the highest grit that will give you any “tooth” would be 1000 or 1500.  Lower grits work even better.  Clay has reported using 200 grit for a microbevel with great success.  He cuts up big critters like elk, where a toothy edge is important.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

Thanks for the response.  Would you strop after the 1000 to 1500?

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I think 600 is a really good grit for a toothy edge, but anywhere from 200 to 1000 can fit that description in my opinion. You’re the only one who can decide what grit of finish is best for your preference. I would suggest stropping even if you want a toothy edge, but I would reduce the angles by at least 2 degrees and try not to hit the apex too much. You just want to smooth out the bevels but not the apex.

Stropping with a smaller particle will give you a clearer mirrored finish than you’re already getting. I’ve never compared lots of stropping with one grit to using a stropping progression in terms of sharpness, so I don’t have an answer on that aspect.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.