Advanced Search

Thinking oh WE Go

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Thinking oh WE Go

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Saskboy
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 2

I am considering buying a Go. As I will will mostly be using it for kitchen knives I am looking for advice on what extra stones or strops to get with it. The plan so far is a angle cube, 800/1000 stone and possibly a 14/10 strop. Should I look at the 1500 diamond stone and lapping film instead of the strop?

Wish the 130 was less money but out of range at this time.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wick Edge Forum Saskboy.  It’s real easy to make recommendations and spend your money. You can easily get by with the addition  of the 800/1000 diamond and 1 pair of cow leather strops.  I like the 4µ and 2µ diamond emulsion sprays. That’s a good all around strop grit combination.  I’d stay away from the Diamond films right now. Get some experience, first, and some sharp knives in the kitchen.  It’ll probably take you about 10 knives before you really get the technique down and start to get optimum sharpening results.  At that point you’ll know enough about what your doing to make your buying decisions more practical. The angle cube is a must.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

If you’re really budget conscious, you will still get very good results just by adding a strop pack and angle cube to the standard WE GO setup. A stropped 600 grit edge will cut very well.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Saskboy
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 2

Thanks guys. Budget for stones and strops pretty good as they can be used if in the future I decide to upgrade to a 120 or 130. Was thinking of keeping accessories under 250$ Canadian. The GO works out to about 255$ by itself.

That said would like to be able to get a really sharp edge on the knifes but not near a mirror finish.

Hogdog
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 18

I have a Go with steer leather strops using .3 and . 5 micron paste and I get very good results.   Of course I cannot get the mirror finish that I get with my ProPack, the results are a little toothy which is exactly what I want on a kitchen or EDC knife.  I would start there, it doesn’t cost anymore to add later. Just my two cents worth.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

If your interest is really limited to kitchen knives, I’d go for the 1500/glass in place of the strops.  Buy a sheet of 6 micron DLF PSA film and you’re set.  Nobody’s ever had a negative thing to say about their 1500-grit stones.  The 6 micron film will give you a “three foot” mirror on your bevels (think of 50 ft paint job on your hot rods).  I’d gladly give up my leather strops, but not so with my DLF collection.

Most of the knives I’ve sharpened over the past year have been run thru this sequence:  200-grit, 400-grit, 600-grit, 800-grit, 1000-grit, 1500-grit, then 6, 3, 1.5 and 1.0 mu diamond lapping film with PSA backing.   The amount of damage determines which level of coarseness I start with.  I often start with 800-grit for blades with little damage.  With advent of the Gen 3 Pro, I switched all my platens (both diamond and homemade brass) to new WE handles.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.