Advanced Search

The Wicked Edge Science and Learning Center

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I had a chance to spend a couple of hours at the “Wicked Edge Science and Learning Center” today (my title), with Clay and his new microscope. Sharpening blades at various levels, and looking at burrs, resultant edge widths, kangaroo strops (they do rock!) and other factors. I’m sure Clay will have some specific posts with pictures at some point, but thought I’d pass on a few things I noticed.

I’m amazed,that, using the WE sharpening technique of: alternating sides, using light strokes at the end, etc., how burr free and clean an edge is, even at the 100g level. True you have a toothy edge that may saw more than it cuts, but pretty clean with little to no burr.

It was also interesting to see how narrow an edge, (looking straight down on the edge), that you can get, even off the coarser stones. Technique means a lot, and the WE allows you to apply it properly.

He convinced me that stropping at a lower angle than sharpening really does work, and reaches the edge. Pretty cool. And if you think that the kangaroo strop pics he’s been showing are “doctored” or fudged in anyway, I can say first hand they’re not. We set up identical blades, and compared the regular strops with the “roo” strops, and the difference is definitely as impressive as the photos he’s been posting.

I am also impressed that Clay devotes a considerable amount of time and resources to learn what works and what doesn’t, what makes an edge sharp, etc., instead of just trying to sell stuff. There are a lot of “facts” in sharpening that have never been proven… just accepted over time as being true. Plus he uses that knowledge not only to improve his sharpener, but to provide knowledge that will benefit sharpeners regardless of the method or technique used. I took a couple of hours of his time, which everyone knows is valuable in running a business, and left with nothing more than an increase in knowledge. Didn’t have to buy anything, no hidden sales pitch, just some sharpening time with an enthusiastic guy.

There’s more I could write, but you’re probably bored. 🙂

Can you tell I had fun?? :silly: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Thanks Clay!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Tom Whittington
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 159

This really hits on why I took the dive and got a kit for dad and myself here at the shop. Aside from being a lot of fun and giving both of us another valuable service to provide to customers, Clay really comes across as the kind of small business industry guy I like to work with. In my own main industry dealing with firearms there’s a lot of real science and a lot of old-world junk science carried over that people use as marketing tools. Dispelling that misinformation and being straight with customers as well as others in the industry has always been a personal goal of mine. It’s refreshing to see that here, and I think it GREATLY helps bring the community together as well.

Now I need to find a way to convince Clay to visit Pennsylvania… :silly:

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

In my own main industry dealing with firearms there’s a lot of real science and a lot of old-world junk science carried over that people use as marketing tools. Dispelling that misinformation and being straight with customers as well as others in the industry has always been a personal goal of mine. It’s refreshing to see that here, and I think it GREATLY helps bring the community together as well.

I couldn’t agree more. And it is not easy: the knife (sharpening) world is pretty traditional. Hurray to Clay and Wicked Edge! And a lot of people on this forum help, too! :cheer:

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.