Advanced Search

The stone thread – discussion

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Ceramic Stones The stone thread – discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Tom, it appears the stones themselves are bending! Check it out!

– Josh

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

That bottom photo looks like the adhesive is yielding at the ends and is clearly not a result of wear. I wonder if stones expand and contract as they absorb water? If so, it’s exactly what I’d expect, The center (least exposed to the drying effects of air) would expand, causing the ends to pull away. In any case, maybe pulling the stone free, drying it and then re-installing it with fresh tape will solve the problem? Stones, especially thin ones, will flex under pressure.

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

I called WEP about having problems with both my 800/1000 and 400/600 diamonds not being flat. They told me I will get new replacements. Received package yesterday and contained only the 800/1000 pair. Look as if plastic wraps were untouched.

Their warpage are worst than the old pair.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Due to this thread I also looked at my WEPS stones. Most of them are about two years old. Hardly any of them are completely flat. I never noticed it before I read this thread. It certainly doesn’t affect sharpening.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Victor
    Participant
    • Replies: 80

Due to this thread I also looked at my WEPS stones. Most of them are about two years old. Hardly any of them are completely flat. I never noticed it before I read this thread. It certainly doesn’t affect sharpening.

I also checked mine due to forum thread. I agree with you – When using the diamonds/stones, only one small area contacting grinding spot.

But why some sets are not affected?

In addition WEP supposed to replace both 800/1000 and 400/600, but I only got the 800/1000 set. Replacement was suppose to mitigate the flawed but the set is actually worse!

Two months ago, I had a similar mixed up incident, but I just leave it at that!

Isn’t that interesting? :whistle:

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I also checked mine due to forum thread. I agree with you – When using the diamonds/stones, only one small area contacting grinding spot.

In addition WEP supposed to replace both 800/1000 and 400/600, but I only got the 800/1000 set. Replacement was suppose to mitigate the flawed but the set is actually worse!

Isn’t that interesting? :whistle:[/quote]

Interesting is not the word that is coming to mind for me… :angry: I’m off to meet with the crew now. Kyle should be in touch this morning to straighten out your RMA and make sure you get exactly what you need.

-Clay

Josh
    Participant

Isn’t that interesting? :whistle:[/quote]

Interesting is not the word that is coming to mind for me… :angry: I’m off to meet with the crew now. Kyle should be in touch this morning to straighten out your RMA and make sure you get exactly what you need.[/quote

lol. I just got off of the phone w/ kyle… he’s sending me another vise. I found a place to ht this steel one that I will be doing in a week or so.

I will tell you guys what… between the entire wicked edge team (Jende Industries and Oldawan included) I don’t think there’s any better customer service on the planet!! everyone has always came through in a big way for me… even w/ the chosera problem =)

tcmeyer
    Participant

I checked my collection of stones and found the same sort of daylight showing on most of them. Almost all of those platens seem to be low in the center and they all seem to be butted tight up against the end of the plastic pockets. Which suggests that maybe the ends didn’t press down properly against the adhesive. I resurrected the one I modified by cutting off the end of the plastic and the platen still sit a little high.

Every one of my platens are absolutely tight against the end curbs. Maybe the platens should be cut off a little shorter. Certainly wouldn’t hurt anything.

Clay, can you explain how the platens are attached and if / how one might pry them off to re-seat them?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Clay, can you explain how the platens are attached and if / how one might pry them off to re-seat them?

They’re attached with 3M VHB double sided tape. To get the stones off, you can heat them up under a heat lamp or with a heat gun or hair dryer. Once the stones are nice and warm, use a flexible putty knife to get under one end and then slowly peel them off. Patience rather than brute force while removing them pays off.

-Clay

tcmeyer
    Participant

Clay:

Is that the foam tape which is 0.045″ thick?

I use a Fastcap “permanent” double-sided tape to attach my glass platens. It’s not foam – only about 0.006″ thick. Think I could use that? Lots cheaper.

Attachments:
    wickededge
    Keymaster

I think that tape may work. You’ll want to verify that it will bond to the polypropylene of the handles. Not too many adhesives like that plastic… The one we’re using is 3M VHB 4932.

-Clay

Josh
    Participant

Here’s the tape Tom is so kind to send me to try out: very excited about it though! I am sure it has been well researched/thought out…

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Tom, it appears the stones themselves are bending! Check it out!

– Josh

Can you take your straight edge and put it to the stone’s sharpening surface – if the stones are flat that way, there is definitely less of an issue overall.

Josh
    Participant

Can you take your straight edge and put it to the stone’s sharpening surface – if the stones are flat that way, there is definitely less of an issue overall.

Tom, I would but I have lapped the surface multiple times so that most certainly will be flat… I was trying to take the straight edge and compare it to the back of the stone, the unlapped part and it DEFINITELY appeared to me that they were warped, even though it’s hard to see in the pics lol, sorry for that!

Michael Welk
    Participant
    • Replies: 1

I just came across this. This exact thing happened to my 5000 and 2000 Chosera stones within the first six months of buying them. I bought them back in 2012 I think. I’d given up on them, thinking it was a design flaw. I’ve considered ordering new ones from time to time, but have always been nervous it’d happen again, and they are very expensive.

So, has this issue been fixed? Is Tom still active here?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.