Advanced Search

The stone thread – discussion

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Ceramic Stones The stone thread – discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I just came across this. This exact thing happened to my 5000 and 2000 Chosera stones within the first six months of buying them. I bought them back in 2012 I think. I’d given up on them, thinking it was a design flaw. I’ve considered ordering new ones from time to time, but have always been nervous it’d happen again, and they are very expensive.

So, has this issue been fixed? Is Tom still active here?

Sorry I am just now responding to this!! I don’t blame you for being nervous… that’s a lot of money down the drain if it goes bad. But Tom or whoever you purchased them from should be able to take care of you, I would send some pics in an email to the appropriate person. I did get mine replaced as it seems to be an issue w/ the glue/adhesion or something.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I am sorry as well to respond so late. I must have missed this topic. Tom has not been very active here for some time, but here is his company website: https://www.jendeindustries.com/

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

John Derry
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 15

Man, just looked at my stones, the 100/200 and 800/1000 are not flat at all.
    My 1/.5 leather strops are nearly round.

Austin Nelson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 25

Man, just looked at my stones, the 100/200 and 800/1000 are not flat at all.
    My 1/.5 leather strops are nearly round.

Just curious as to how long you’ve had the stones and the leather strops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Derry
    Participant

I have used the strops once.
    The stones maybe 15 sharpenings.

I got the PP1 in April and the strops in July.

Austin Nelson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 25

Gotcha… Just curious to see if your case was a use thing or not. But according to many others above it wasn’t for them either. Kind of a batch thing possibly… I’ve got to look at my own now as I am curious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Derry
    Participant

My 400/600 are very very slightly off, but the others look wavy.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Maybe Clay can confirm, but I heard from a reputable source that the bend/warping of the diamond stone plates does not actually effect the edge enough to matter. I have not verified myself totally yet, but I have used mine a bit w/ out issue that I can tell so far.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Can you post pictures?

-Clay

John Derry
    Participant
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

I don’t know if this helps or not, but I have a couple pair of stones that have never been used, 50/80 diamond, and 1200/1600 ceramic. When I hold them together, up to the light, I can see a little slice of light shining through the middle. Yet, when I hold a straight edge to each of the sides, they appear very flat, and no light shines through. So, perhaps when they are held together, there is some anomaly? I don’t know… Just something I noticed.

Alan

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Pictures of stones

The stones all look to be within reason but I’m not sure about the strops. Can you show some different views of them?

-Clay

John Derry
    Participant

Okay, I sent the same pictures to Kyle, he is replacing the strops and said the stones should not effect sharpening negatively at this point.

Mjcollier
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 36

Is this a dead issue?

M1rrorEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 222

Great service!  I still want to know what is causing this…  The stones, even though thoroughly used don’t look that worn down to me.  I agree with the “Splash and Go” principle it seems to work well and is a lot cleaner wastes a less water.  I use a spray bottle to clean some of the metal off the stones from time to time during sharpening.  I can see atmospheric changes between winter and summer as being the cause depending on where you live.  In fact, most rocks in the “wild” and in this case “synthetic rocks” are formed when water is wedged in the cracks of rocks.  Normally, it is freezing that causes them to fracture like that.  The synthetic stones are simulations of the real thing.  I wonder if this is a similar response to changes in temperature and humidity,  drying and cooling.

Eddie Kinlen
    M1rror Edge Sharpening Service, LLC
    +1(682)777-1622

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.